Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help with lag on xbox for others when im the host!

• Please log in to reply

ewa

ewa

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I've had this issue for almost 2 years and I have no idea where to turn!!

whenever i host a game (this happens on all the call of duty games, not sure about other games as i dont play any others online really) everyone except me ( i do not get any lag) gets a bad connection, they lag really bad, are stuck at the "setting up game" screen, i see the messeges saying "transmission error" in the bottom corner of stuck ppl who can't connect.
when im host it never picks a new host , and the funny thing as well (though they cant connect or lag) is we all will have all the green bars.

I upgraded my internet and modem 2 days ago thinking that it might be the issue, so now i have extreme plus internet with rogers. 1mbps uploading speed, and my modem is a smc model # smcd3gn . i have my xbox wired straight into my modem and still have the same issue.
im getting the runaround from my internet provider to call xbox, xbox telling me to call the internet or the modem maker, and back and forth. no1 has been any help as of yet.

also i get picked as host quite often, so a lot of my friends will eventually stop playing with me after a couple of games

Advertisements

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
all i can really think of is opening up ports on your router.

try this guide and see if it helps

http://portforward.c...ox_Live_360.htm

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Unfortunatly that isn't one of the SMC routers listed on the compatibility page. It only lists the following:

• SMCWBR14S-N4
  • SMCWGBR14-N
  • SMCWBR14-N2

I'm not saying that is going to cause your problems, but that's why Microsoft is giving you the run around. One easy test is to place your Xbox in the DMZ. That's going to remove any and all router imposed restrictions.

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
yes i saw it wasn't in the list but the principle is the same for pretty much any router as long as it is the same make (NOT going to place my life on that statement though as they're could always be a one to catch me out :) )

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
The problems I've seen with ones that aren't on the list concern the NAT setting, which normally can't be changed. Some of the ones not on the list come with strict NAT as opposed to open leading to matchmaking and other problems. Maybe they've solved that problem since I looked last.

ewa

ewa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
oh, i didnt even get notifications for this topic that i got replies...
i figured out the problem, rogers does traffic shaping when it comes to p2p and gaming...
after saying they dont, i finally spoke to a higher up guy that admitted to it, so im stuck

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
sue them for lying to you :)

or make them finish your contract early as they lied and aren't giving you the service they require and change !
:)