Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

explorer.exe at 99% cpu usage and locks the system

• Please log in to reply

chellejeff

chellejeff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Used msconfig to uncheck everything in startup except 2 items which it wouldn't let me uncheck. AvastUI and Nvcpl.dll. It said I didn't have permission to uncheck those, even though I'm logged in as sys admin. Still have the explorer.exe problem.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
oK lets try this then.
To disable add-ons in Internet Explorer 8
1. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Internet Explorer.
2. Click the Tools button, and then click Manage Add-ons.
3. Under Show, click All add-ons.
4. Click the add-on you want to disable, and then click Disable.
5. Repeat step 4 for every add-on to disable. When you are finished, click Close.
Now restart IE and retry IE as before. Let us know if it still happens or not. If not then try enabling one add on at a time and trying IE again till you find the problem.
Most times the cause will be a toolbar add on.

chellejeff

chellejeff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I think I found what's causing the explorer.exe problem but I don't know why. In My Documents was a folder called barnyardinvasionsavedata. In the folder are 5 files with a .dat extension. It appears they think they should be opened by media player since that's the icon that shows. I moved this folder out of My Documents and put it in a temp folder. Now My documents works fine but when I open the temp folder my system immediately goes to 99% cpu. I've scanned the folder in question with MBAM and Avast and neither find anything. Barnyard Invasion is a goofy game that came on the computer. I uninstalled that game already. Do you see any problem with deleting these files?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope if it is not needed and nobody misses it then uninstall it.
BTW great detective work on your part. I would have not thought about that since we were not pursuing a program issue but more the OS or the IE.

chellejeff

chellejeff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
You notice anything else I should be dealing with. GPU temp?. I've been thinking about puting in one of those slot fans next to the gpu but there's not much space.

chellejeff

chellejeff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Earlier you mentioned "With the exception of turning off some startups and autoruns". Which ones do you have in mind. I assume this is for increased performance.

I deleted the .dat files as mentioned above. They were resistant, I ended up using MBAM file incinerator to get rid of them.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I would check to be sure that all your fans are clean and there is no dust buildup on the blades.
Also that they are all spinning and not hanging up.

Again. Great detective work.

123runner

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If system is now running good then you should be running without having to do any other steps.
As 123Runner suggested maybe opening the system up and checking for dust bunnies especially around any fans.
We are going on the assumption this is a desktop unit and not a laptop.