Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DELL M70 Clock speed

• Please log in to reply

Fred60

Fred60

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
When running a game, everything is jurky and slow. I checked my BIOS and it said the CPU clock was set at 800 Mhz. The other day when I was looking at the BIOS it was set at the max speed for the CPU chip of 1.86 Ghz. It also says I can't set the speed. Does anyone know how I can force it to run at 1.86 Ghz.

It is a Dell Precision M70 with a NVIDIA Quadro FX Go 1400 256MB Graphics Card and a WUXGA display.

Advertisements

ersatz

ersatz

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
What games are you trying to run?

Post some specs:

Download EVEREST Free Home Edition
  • Install it, and then run it.
  • In left pane expand Computer folder.
  • Click once on Summary
  • In the upper menu, choose Report > Quick Report-Summary
  • Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
When pasting it into your reply:
DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

Kudos to rshaffer61 for instructions!

-Tony

Fred60

Fred60

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Thanks for the reply. Nothing very complex, URU Live and the off line version. It also happened with Google Earth. I have determined that it is temperature throttling because when I let it set off for an hour or so, the bios shows the clock speed at 1.86 Ghz. It looks like my graphics card cooling fan is not working. It is a small muffin fan, It works fine if I keep the room temperature down to around 68 F and remove the keyboard from on top of it.

Thanks again!

Fred60

Fred60

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
PS

This site has been very helpful. I used the self help procedure for removing Malware on 3 computers with great results.