Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Drivers (And the Like)

• Please log in to reply

AgentXu

AgentXu

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Alright, so the easy stuff; I'm running Windows Vista 32 Bit Home Premium. Intel® PM965 Express Chipset is what is on my machine. I just received a new Hard Drive and booted the OS from a disk. I went to Dell's website, looked up the drivers, and downloaded and installed them. Everything seems to be in working order but some of the drivers are out of date it seems. According to Driver Magician (a program that identifies Drivers that need to be up dated in case you're not familiar.) It came up with this list:

Posted Image

I downloaded the nvidia driver but it came back with the error "The NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit." So, there's that... I don't know what exactly to do about that. A google search turned up some pretty specific solutions I didn't feel comfortable trying without some suggestions on my specific situation.

I downloaded the second thing on the list, it installed without any trouble, but continued to show up in the list provided by the Driver Magician program making me think I either did something wrong or I didn't get the right thing in the first place.

The webcam thing didn't seem particularly important so I didn't mess with it and based on my experience with the first two I didn't mess with the Ethernet thing or the newtowrk adapter driver stuff.

So, yeah, I'm sort of just poking around trying to make sure its all up to date and running into roadblocks. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :) Thanks guys.

Xu

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Don't pay too much attention to driver updates if everything works with the existing ones, you might regret it as new drivers can often introduce problems which didn't previously exist. Updating drivers is not critical or mandatory. Only do it if a newer driver fixes a specific problem or adds features you really need.

Also, Driver Magician does not take account of the fact that big-brand computers like those from Dell require modified drivers available only from the PC manufacturer, and not the standard drivers from the motherboard manufacturer which are often incompatible. Stick with the drivers that Dell provides, if they don't have newer ones than those already installed, leave it at that.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I second that. As long as there aren't any red X's or yellow exclamation points in the Device Manager, then you are fine. Some hardcore gamers keep their video card drivers up to date, but other than that, if it's working fine, leave it alone.

If you want to check the device manager
  • Click Windows Orb (Start)
  • Right Click "Computer"
  • Select "Properties"
  • In the top left corner, Click "Device Manager"
  • Any yellow exclamation points or question marks? Red X's?