Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitoring use on shared internet connection

• Please log in to reply

njay

njay

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hello

I live in a building where a lot of us share an internet connection. I am wondering in how far my internet use can be monitored, or in how far my connection is safe. Now, the internet connection is just a cable running through the whole building and you can plug it into your PC without having to enter any additional data to set up the connection.

Because my partner and I both have a computer (a laptop and a PC), I bought a wireless router, which I secured. We both use the connection through that router.

In how far could anyone monitor our internet activities, or gather private information? Is it possible, in our situation, to determine which user uses what (e.g. in terms of bandwidth use)?

I know very little about the inner workings of internet connection -- I just know how to get it to work in the end... :)

Thanks for your replies.
njay

Advertisements