Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Asus/Gigabyte

• Please log in to reply

jacktro

jacktro

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Looking to start a new game built and would be interested to hear anyone's views on .......
Asus V's Gigabyte MoBo's
I tend to swing more on the Asus side, but i thought it would be great to get some feed back from you guys.
many thx J.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Asus Rampage II Extreme :)

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
I've had very good luck with Asus motherboards since the 440BX chipset was new. Gigabyte boards have given me good service since 2001 or so.

My complaints are mostly with version 1.0 boards which fail to implement certain features as they should. IOW issues with the FSB or HyperTransport or some such. Another thorn in my side is the use of uncommon LAN chipsets which may not be supported by Linux or *BSD.

If you stick to Windows 7 or Vista, most hardware is supported out of the box. If I were in the market for a high end gaming PC, I'd look at the Gigabyte GA-EX58-Extreme.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I've never used an ASUS board but have heard mostly good things about them. I recommend Gigabyte boards often on here mostly because I'm a little more familiar with them and the websites layout when checking compatibility. I think either way you go you will be happy and keep in mind what DaffyKantReed said about Gigabyte boards.

The board I personally chose for my system was by eVGA. And I'm very pleased, they have some whistles and bells too if you like that sort of thing. i.e. onboard power, reset, and clear CMOS buttons, Diagnostics LED/CPU Temperature Readout, and true voltage testing leads mainly used for overclockers/enthusiasts.

Edited by Ferrari, 06 March 2010 - 11:19 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I've had very good results using ASUS mobo's...my only complaint is they are in such a hurry to get their boards to the retailers there are many bios updates (6-8 )over the next year or so after they ship them to correct issues...
if you do not plan on overclocking though, stick with intel boards ...they are the only boards I will use when building computers for businesses

good read here at anantech on the sorry state of affairs concerning mobo's bios...
short excerpt

BIOS Ridiculousness

1. Of the course of the past 30 days we communicated problems, suggestions, and resolution status on our test products via email 896 times and over a 100 phone conversations.

2. We have received 31+ different BIOS releases in the last thirty days to address problems and/or improve performance.

3. Our change log of problems and fixes reads like a bad novel. While we will not ding the manufacturers for performance improvements that we or others suggest, the simple fact that auxiliary storage controllers, power management features, memory and voltage settings, and other basic features on these boards failed to even work or resulted in a non-POST situation just floored us.

We are talking about $300 plus motherboards designed and released to be the crown jewel in the manufacturers product lineup. Of course, there is no excuse for this regardless of price, but one would truly think that the QA process would have noticed simple items like S3 not working, drives attached to certain storage ports not recognized, 12GB memory configurations causing non-POST situations, various BIOS settings not working or auto settings generating out of bounds voltages at stock speeds, power management features that when enabled actually increased power consumption, various overclock bugs, and USB and network controllers operating at half speed. The list just goes on and on