Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to lock a folder ?

• Please log in to reply

retrac

retrac

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
I was just wondering if there is some way to password protect a folder so i can delete every shortcut to IE then password protect the Program Files folder so noone can get to the IExplorer.exe

The computer in question is running Windows 2000professional

Any Suggestions would be very Appreciated :tazz:

Edited by retrac, 23 May 2005 - 03:27 PM.

Advertisements

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
If you really want to make Internet Explorer inaccessible, why not use a program like WinRaR or WinZip to compress the actual program file, located:

c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe

Then, even if people want to try to get clever, eg. start -- run -- iexplore -- ok

nothing will happen.

You could store the compressed file somewhere else, either on the system (but give it an unrelated name and password protect the archive) or elsewhere.

Bare in mind, some sites don't always function well, if at all, without Internet Explorer - so you may want to resort to using it sometimes.

I know many antivirus programs won't install unless internet explorer is present, but not sure whether once installed, whether they will then run okay, if internet explorer is no longer detected.

give it a whirl.

Note: if you're banishing iexplorer to the wasteland because of security issues, bare in mind no browser is 100% safe - Firefox is now being targetted and it's claims of being the most secure browser and being questioned/challenged.

Linuxwannabee :tazz:

retrac

retrac

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
Thanks for the response.

i changed my idea ...would this way work ??

Edited by retrac, 23 May 2005 - 03:28 PM.

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*
On one computer, my main surfer, I removed IE, and set all M$ products to use the Mozilla rendering engine. :tazz:

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
hi retrac

I was just wondering if there is some way to password protect Internet Explorer or just a crafty way to make it very hard to find and use ???

I've looked for the same thing myself, ended up using a combination of things too complex to go into here. but there is plenty of software available to pass word protect applications folders or files. see http://www.softheap....iesecurity.html for one.

yeah I know ya gotta buy it sorry for that but I've yet to find a free application that i like enuff to recommend. Give up looking in fact. If any out there in cyberspace know of anything let us know. ;)

Anyway since you seem to be talking about a business computer hopefully the $$$ for a useful program isn't a major problem.

Hope this helps. :tazz:

retrac

retrac

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
Thanks for responding StarHawk.

I changed my idea for blocking IE ....would the locking of Program Files folder option work?? After deleting all IExplore shortcuts ??