Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Auto Reboot it’s self after wake from standby HELP!

• Please log in to reply

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
OK, here goes. I’ve got an issue with my desktop that I can’t figure out. It reboots its self after waking from standby mode and it does this about 50% of the time. Lately I’ve just not been allowing it to go into standby unless I have to leave it for a long period of time. Most of the time I just shut it down because I don’t want to deal with the reboot issue after standby. When it does do the reboot after standby, when it restarts it opens at the BIOS setup option page and I have to push F2 to skip setup and run normal. This is just about to drive me crazy, but the only thing that I can think of that could still be the problem would be device driver conflicts somewhere. And if that’s the case I don’t know how to go about fixing driver conflict issues.

Here’s what’s been done to try to fix the issue with no luck;
1. I keep the inside of the machine as free of dust as possible
2. Upgrade power supply from 350 watt unit to a 500 watt unit
3. Upgrade graphics card.
4. Added the Speedfan app to watch for temp spikes, which there really hasn’t been any
5. Wiped the hard drive and done a full re-install of everything
6. After re-install I updated all device drivers that I knew to do
7. Virus, spyware, adware and malware scans done before and after re-install
8. Windows/Microsoft updates done regularly and are up to date

If anybody else has any other ideas or suggests please let me know. I would greatly appreciate any help with this issue. :)

Advertisements

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Hey, I know everybody here has their own lives and jobs but if anybody has a minute to help me with this issue I really would appreciate it. It's been a week or so and I haven't heard any suggestion yet. Please help! Thanks

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I'm hope there are no rules against bumping a thread, because I'm bumping this one. Please help! Anybody!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry for the long time to answer but we have been slammed lately.
It sounds like you have done a lot to check things out but I would like to suggest a couple more starting with this.

Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Thanks rshaffer61. I kinda thought y'all might be really busy since I didn't hear anything from anybody. Question; will it be ok to let this chkdsk just run over night after I go to bed or should it be done when I can keep on eye on it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can let it run overnight if you wish. It may take some time anyway depending on if and what it finds. We can always get the log and look at what it did tomorrow.

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Rshaffer, thanks for your help. It does seem to have helped, but we'll give it some more time before I say that it fixed it for sure.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) :) :)

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Well, it's almost been 2 weeks since I run the chkdsk and it seems to have fixed the problem. I can let the system go into standby/sleep mode and when it wakes all is fine, so I'd say it worked. Thanks again Rshaffer61!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for the update and I am glad to see the issue seems to be resolved.
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)