Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newly built (Costum) Computer startup problem! please help!

• Please log in to reply

mike hardy

mike hardy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi well i dicided to build a computer for my year 10 preject at school which counts for about half of our SACE which determines if I pass or not :)

anyway
the problem is when i put everything together plug it in to the monitor all i get it "no Video Input" I've check that all components are fitted corectly like Ram, Video card and CPU. also swaped some of the ram to check maybe they wern't the right frequency but they are.

when powering up case fans are on CPU fan is on (so motherboard has power. I have my 1 tb hard drive installed which has a 10 gb partition which i will install vista onto once working.

the system specs are as follows
Nzxt zero case
CPU: AMD Phenom II Black edition
RAM: Corsair DDR2 twin2X
Mother Board: Gigabyte S-series
PSU: Megapower 450 Aywum ATW 12v
Video Card:Nvidia 8500GT 512mb

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated

thankyou
Mike

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi Mike Hardy, Welcome to Geekstogo! :)

I'll help you, but not as easily as the common person because we generally don't condone doing someone elses homework. It seems this is to help you pass school, eh?

I'll help lead you in the right direction. Any computer geek will first tell you that Google is your friend and trust me, we use it often. So use Google, ask it things like "no video on new build"... if there is no luck, try using different key words or broaden the search with just "new build problems".

Also, what do you think is the practical thing to do if the problem is no video? How can you easily rule out the video card isn't bad/the problem?

If you can rule out the video card, maybe you could search around here on Geekstogo and look under some of my topics and posts for a certain kind of "test" I always recommend on new build troubles.

It's all about the research... even when you are experienced. :)

mike hardy

mike hardy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Farari thanks for the tips. i think i've narrowed out the video card because it is the same ddr2 card which i have been using in my other computer and was working only a few hours ago. Inless somehow i damaged it when uninstalling and installing but i doubt it. I've been thinking about the "test"and all which comes to mind is trying to narrow down the problem.
so far i dont think it is RAM( two sticks new one 6 months old all 1 gb) or the Video Card. could be Mobo(which is new), cpu (new).

I've been researching through google and seems like alot of people have the same problem but with different causes. most its caused by the RAM not being installed properly i think.

am i right about the test??? which is process of elimination.

thanks again

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Use the search function on here and search for "Bench Test Ferrari' without the quotes. You should find a topic I've replied in before near the top that gives instructions on how to perform a bench test. This is what you need to do, read those bench test instructions carefully.

Edited by Ferrari, 06 March 2010 - 12:23 PM.