Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

msls51.dll was not found

• Please log in to reply

rayy

rayy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Please help! I own a Dell desktop and had avg free installed running XP
When i restarted the other morning AVG identified 2 infected files with Trojan PSW.Generic7.BOAR ( explorer.exe and avgui.exe,) removed to vault by AVG,,, (since then have restored and removed several times during unsussesful rectification)

ON start up i am having the same problems Mrmakka posted yesterday

When restarting upcame:

"lsass.exe - Unable to run Component
The application has failed to start because msls51.dll was not found (
Re-installing the application may fix this problem"
i get the
msls51.dll was not found message with lots of different " ??exe - Unable to run Component error messages
I only have the background appearing once windows starts and that's it. I can get task manager up,

Have run from task manager ,, in normal and safe mode,, restore/combofix/spybot no help but during these processes still get error messages so programmes may not be running correctly

i have had this system for 9 years and had numerous problems that i have overcome without ever having to reformat, but i think this may be the end

Please prove me wrong and help me fix without reformat , as you can well imagine after 9 years it would be like losing an old friend

Rayy

Advertisements

rayy

rayy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I Fixed it!!!!

I removed SP3 (XP servicepack3 ) using Task managar , File,New Task(Run) then using c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst\spuninst.exe

When system rebooted after removal all came good, reinstalled SP3 all remains good

Hope you read this Mrmakka . i know you had the same problems as I a few days back

ie only desktop backgound on screen and only interface was opening Task Manager(ctrl+alt+Del) and loads of error messages because msls51.dll could not be found when anything was run from Task Manager

Bye from one happy chappy :)

Rayy

simloc

simloc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi

If I do this will I lose any files such as music (Itunes) and photos (Picassa)?

Thanks

Simon