Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thinking of going Google

• Please log in to reply

twit

twit

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I've been running Firefox and I'm thinking of switching over to Chrome. IE isn't my first choice so I never use it. Is Chrome really good or is it sucky? I need a browser That will warn me of faker websites and play media content smoothly but not report every little move I make like Explorer tends to do. I've gotten more issues with IE than I can count. Anyone have a good suggestion?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It's free software. Download it and play with it.

jollyr

jollyr

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I seem to recall that CNET or Tech Republic had an article about privacy concerns with Chrome due to some terms in the EULA: something about Google owning anything that is displayed on the browser's screen. Not sure if this was ever researched more deeply nor whether Google changed the wording in the EULA, but this was enough for me to consider not using Chrome.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Have you updated to IE8 yet? Seems to be a lot less buggy than previous versions. You're going to need it for some sites anyway like MS update.

I know people talk up FF as the greatest thing since sliced bread, but IE works just fine, and the security features are improved. If you don't want the prompts IE gives, shut them off in tools>options> advanced.
Johanna

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Chrome is decent when it works properly, but I've seen plenty of instances where it does not.

Try Safari 4 or Opera 10.50 for Windows.

http://www.opera.com...=...ws&list=all
http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

Togii

Togii

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I thought I'd never be able to give up Firefox, because I was in love with the plugins.. but Chrome seems like a lighter program to me (maybe because I can't load it down with plugins :)), so I switched for that reason originally.
Also, its compact design lets me see more of the website I'm on, which is important due to my laptop's smaller screen.
Now I can't make myself switch, because I'm addicted to the way the address bar doubles as a search bar. With basically any site I've used for a search before on Chrome, I can type part of the url, then hit tab, and bam.. the address bar is temporarily converted into a search bar for that website.
Other browsers have similar functions, but something about Chrome has me hooked now.

I keep wanting to try out Safari, which is more visually appealing to me, but I keep coming back to Chrome. :)