Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Computer ... XP

• Please log in to reply

sherbear

sherbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
hmm, well having it (Bit defender) open on the bottom menu bar seems to have allowed it to run better this afternoon. I mean, i've opened windows and tabs with no problems. I don't know what that TFC thing really did, but it seems to have done something. If you will, let me see how it runs later tonight. I have some book reading research to do, so, I'll try a peak time in a couple of hours and see what that does.

I'm honestly surprised how well it's running. But i could be fooling myself.

Thank you for your assistance so far!! It also says my last deep scan was around jan 15th, ... that seems to be when we started having issues. hmmm.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
TFC cleans all temp files and cache from the internet programs.
You may have just been over run with temp files.
Yes please try it out for the night and let me know . I will monitor this topic for a couple of days.

sherbear

sherbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I usually try to remember to clean the cache from Firefox at least once a week if not more. And we do the disc clean up regularly. guess that's never enough. So far so good. Still slightly slow, but considerably better than before. I can at least have 2 windows open with no problems.

Thanks for your assistance.

I'll let you know how things go tomorrow evening.

sherbear

sherbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Well... it's been off an on, today. When I got home from class at 4, it seemed to be working okay. Now, it's 8:40 and just playing my silly game on facebook, it's slowed itself down again. Bit Defender stayed on the whole time this time. I took a few screenshots.

screen 4: that's what i'm talking about in the very top bar of the menu. how it doesn't have the firefox icon anymore, it'll change when it's 'thinking' too hard.

screen 5: same. It's just a silly game, but still, I can play this at the university and have no problems.

Screen 6: I'm out of that and just trying to load another facebook page.

Screen 7: While attempting to type this out to you, if you notice at the bottom bar, facebook decided it wanted to be open, but the menu said i was still on This page.

Attached Thumbnails

• screen4.JPG
  • screen5.JPG
  • screen6.JPG
  • screen7.JPG

sherbear

sherbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
and screen 5 has the wrong window 'open' technically.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ok I need you to do the following and let me know what it says
Let's make sure all drives are using DMA mode

Click the Start and then Right click My Computer
Select Manage and In the Computer Management window, select Device Manager
In the right pane, click to expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
The click on the + sign next to your Hard drive controllers on both the Primary Controller and Secondary Controller
Right click on the drive and select Properties
Click the Advanced Settings tab
In the Transfer Mode box open the drop down menu and select DMA if available
Redo the steps to check each of the Controllers
Click OK and exit all windows
Reboot to make sure all settings take affect. Reply back with your results

sherbear

sherbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Yup, it was already in that DMA. .... Looking like I just have a dumb computer, or crappy internet :)

Attached Thumbnails

• screen8.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Looking like I just have a dumb computer, or crappy INTERNET

OK let's clarify something first.
Is this issue just with INTERNET or the whole system?
I was dealing more with the system then the INTERNET side.

sherbear

sherbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
well that's what i don't really know. Because i thought at first it was the Bit Defender that was slowing everything down, when it would go from red to grey and back again. You could hear the tower go into overdrive 'thinking' hard. But after that TFC cleaner item, it seemed to not affect going online as much. like last night, i guess it was just the internet that was 'going slow' but I don't understand why I can't switch between windows? That shouldn't just be a browser thing, is it?

If I was online, and tried typing in Microsoft Office, it was 'good luck' trying to have that and the internet open at the same time. Cuz, it wouldn't switch between the windows.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be such a pain.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a pain I just needed to clarify the root issue.
Lets try this and see if there is a addon causing the issue.

* Go to Start and then to Run
* Type in firefox -safe-mode
* A window will popup asking things that you want to disable or reset (eg: reset/disable bookmarks/toolbars, etc.)
* Click Disable all add-ons and press Restart for the changes to take effect.

Let me know if Firefox runs faster now.

Advertisements

sherbear

sherbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I don't know what i'm doing wrong, but it just keeps opening another web browser for me. Or, it'll open up a 'buy this domain' page.

i can tell you that we do have add-ons, my husband put on a halloween, christmas and cats one. Currently its on the cats one....

Edited by sherbear, 09 March 2010 - 01:25 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well with everything we have done and the symptoms you are having it might be worth a tript to the malware to have them check your system for any infection.
I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here