Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista 64 bit - backed up - Disk 0 Linear Verify Failed

• Please log in to reply

barb1814

barb1814

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Backed up hard drive, reinstalled Vista 64 bit, ran diagnostics and got the info above. No matter what I do, I can not get it to boot. I have a Vista disk I tried, I have recovery disks and bootable disks, no luck. Just before the computer stopped working I got an AMDrateexpert message of some sort. My computer is an HP A6750F
Motherboard AMD RS780G Chipset Southbridge AMD SB700
Bios
Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Bios Version String 5.07
Rom size 1.00 MB
AMD Phenom™ 9650 Quad-Core Procewssor
1.80 GHz
8 GB Total Physical Memory 2048 M
B DDR2-SDRAM (PC2-6400/800 MHZ) Samsung
I have the Hardware Diagnotic Tools , System Information printed so if additional info is necessry, please let me know.
At this point, I think I need to replace the computer. Sometimes repair costs more than replace!!!!
Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Well I just realized that Vista is not listed here. Guess I am in the wrong place. Sorry about that. If anyone could give me a good website for this info, I would surely appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Barbara

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
The "linear verify" failure is commonly a sign that the hard disk has failed. You can check it with the disk manufacturer's own diagnostic utility which is a bootable CD or floppy which runs in memory irrespective of the disk's condition. All the major disk manufacturer's have such a utility on their website. But from your post I would say you need a new hard drive.

barb1814

barb1814

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Phillip, Thanks so much for the info. Actually I purchased a new hard drive yesterday, decided that I did not want to install it so the tower went to MicroCenter today to be fixed!!! Guess I am a bit disappointed since the computer was purchased in Jan. 2009 -not very old!!! I know they are cheaper now but are they also not as good! This one has been the worse one that I have had and probably the only one that an extended warranty was not purchase on.
Sorry for rambling on.
Again, thanks so much for your response.
Barbara

The "linear verify" failure is commonly a sign that the hard disk has failed. You can check it with the disk manufacturer's own diagnostic utility which is a bootable CD or floppy which runs in memory irrespective of the disk's condition. All the major disk manufacturer's have such a utility on their website. But from your post I would say you need a new hard drive.

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Whilst it's annoying to have a hard disk fail after only 12 months, it doesn't necessarily follow that the whole computer is not as good as they used to be. The hard disk is only one part of it, allbeit a very important part, but you have to remember that a PC is essentially a metal box containing parts made by a lot of different manufacturers - when something fails it's not necessarily the fault of the PC builder, they don't make all the parts.

Modern hard disks may indeed be more unreliable than they used be, since their capacities have increased enormously, made possible by fitting more 'platters' to hold the data, where older drives only had one platter. This means more moving parts to malfunction, unfortunately.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 08 March 2010 - 04:16 PM.

barb1814

barb1814

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Phillip, I would have to agree with you. The replacement hard drive that we picked out has a 3 year warranty. The hard drive in the case was a Seagate made for HP and warranty was by HP - 1 year. Hopefully, I will have better luck with this one!!! Thanks for the info,
Barbara