Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Major screw up...Please Help

• Please log in to reply

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I had windows 2000 pro installed in my old thinkpad T21. I then wanted to upgrade to windows xp, which i just learned is not an easy task. i'm pc savy so excuse the following blunder. The result is that i now have xp and 2000 installed in the same partition ( i was told that's a bad idea),so i ended with a dual OS which i don't want. A week later i got my hands on xp pro, which my friend said i should install if i have windows 2000. so i did, hoping it would install over both existing OS's. but i saw that it would not,and now on startup i have three options:

windows xp
windows 2000
windows xp pro setup

all on my one and only partition.........i'm in a mess....please help, if possible.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
please help what? Where do you want to be...one OS? XP Home? XP Pro?

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
sorry.....i would like to upgrade to XP pro. thx.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
so, you stopped the install in progress? is that what I seem to be reading?

How did you begin installing this windows xp pro? By booting from the CD?

And by upgrade, do you mean upgrade so the old programs from 2000 still function, or just get windows xp pro is working?

While you are answering those questions, find your boot.ini file and post that (in c:\) open in notepad

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Once i had windows xp home and windows 2000 installed, i tried to install xp pro from cd and this time i selected the "New Installation" option where any old files and programs would no longer exist, but i stopped the setup when it asked me for a partiton to install to.i stopped b/c i realized that i would now install a total of three OS's on one partition. I would like to upgrade to xp pro or home edition and forget anything in windows 2000, but if it's easier to remain in win 2000 and delete the upgrades, that's fine too.

boot.ini file:

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup"

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
can someone please shed some light on my computer blunder?

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
well i just re-installed xp pro, except this time i selected the "upgrade" option instead of "new installation." Well it got rid of xp home edition, but i still have windows 2000. i think i might have read some threads on how to remove windows 2000, but i have it installed in the same partition so it might be a bit more difficult. thx anyway.