Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HughesNet Satellite router and D-Link

• Please log in to reply

Charlotte114

Charlotte114

• Pip
  • 1 posts
First off thanks. I came here a few years back and someone saved my PC. This is a much easier issue. My boyfriend uses HughesNet Satellite Internet for his desktop PC. I recently bought a netbook and attempted to install a D-Link Router. The Router installation let me know that HughesNet already has a router built in, and that in order to use D-Link the IP address range would need changed. I want to go wireless, but I do not want to compromise his IP address. Is it possible to override the internal router with the D-Link without changing his IP? Any help would be more than appreciated. I just want to use my netbook!!!! :)
Shana

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you may have a couple of options... #1 would be to contact Hughesnet and see if they have an option to upgrade his router that came with the service to allow for wireless connections.

#2 would be to see if you can change your D-Link router into an access point. most current routers allow for you to turn them into APs with a few setting changes. an access point is basically a wireless switch instead of a wireless router. so what you'd do is change the router over to AP mode (if available) then plug it in via ethernet to the HughesNet router/modem/whatever, then you should be able to connect wirelessly to the D-Link with no issues