Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton vs GTG Recommendations

• Please log in to reply

Engine15

Engine15

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Comcast has recently started offering Norton to their customers as a part of the internet package and will be discontinuing McAfee soon. I removed McAfee and installed Norton and have found a conflict between Norton and Firefox which ironically happens most often when on Comcast's email pages. The message that pops up states "URL not valid and cannot be loaded".
Given this less than seamless change from Comcast I am looking at your recommendations and was a bit confused/confounded when I saw a note from Rorschach that favored Norton over something else (I think it was a firewall). I'm on Info Overload at this point after reading many many posts and threads, so I guess my question comes to this;

Should I scrap Norton in favor of the GTG suggested setup?
- Avast or AVG
- MBam
- Super AS
- Sunbelt Firewall
- SpywareBlaster
- SpywareGuard
- Open DNS

You folks are great! Thanks for maintaining such a great resource.

Best,
Bill

Advertisements

Down With Malware!

Down With Malware!

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
If it was me I would go with the GTG setup as for the reason these two anti-viruses are free and pretty close to being the best in the field of what they do. I would prefer Avast over AVG, but if you want to keep Norton as your anti-virus and get the stuff on the GTG list you can do that too. That is just my recommendation and what I would do. :)

Choose just one anti-virus and one firewall as it will cause conflicts. :)

Edited by Down With Malware!, 08 March 2010 - 11:22 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Norton is known to be a resource hog which will slow your system down. Anytime i recommend a Av it is always Avast or Avira.
As Down With Malware suggest it is advised to only run one AV in real time as this can cause false positive readings and slow your system way down with both being in real time mode.
Firewalls having more then one can cause connection problems and when one allows a site the other may not.

Buttons1

Buttons1

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
I would suggest Microsoft Security Essentials. It's very good on resources and detection.

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
I second the comment from rshaffer61 that Norton is a resource hog, plus upates seem to take forever and demand too much user intervention. My ISP also provides Norton (NIS) but I don't use it (and, yes, I've tried it so I'm qualified to pass comment on it)

My recommendation - Avast Free Antivirus & Comodo Firewall (my current setup). Comodo also offer a free AV but I found it too prone to giving false-positives which is why I use Avast instead).

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 08 March 2010 - 05:17 PM.