Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Automatic Update Error - will not stop!

• Please log in to reply

Twell

Twell

• Pip
  • 4 posts
A computer running XP home has an error saying the Automatic Update Failed, then ask me if I want to send the report to MS. In doing so, the error comes up again, constantly.

I've tried going to the MS Windows Update Web page, but it FREEZES on that site. It can go to every other site I've tried, except for that site.

When clicking on mored deatils about the error, I see a problem with: wuauclt.exe.mdmp

I have Norton, which does live update, and seems to be having some problems as well.

Can anybody suggest anything?

It's a real pain, and the windoe will not go away.

Twell

(P.S. It's my brother' machine that he has consulted me on how to fix it - so I'm coming to you!)

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
system date correct?

what's wrong with symantec live update?

Twell

Twell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
System Date: you mean the control panel DATE & TIME? I'll check.

As for the symantec live update, I don't know the codes, but seems to have trouble downloading the new definitions. I updated the service several month ago, but did not choose the personal firewall, and it keeps bugging me too.

But the MS Auto Update is what is really bothersome. The window WILL NOT go away!

Twell

Twell

Twell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The date and time is correct. I'm trying to get a screen shot. The error box covers up a lot of the screen, and is always in the center.

kaveman

kaveman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have been having the same problems with the updates error message, did you ever figure it out?

Twell

Twell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
NO. :tazz: In fact, we tried turning AUTOMATIC UPDATES off in the Security Center, but it was grayed out and NOT SELECTABLE.

We tried booting in SAFE MODE, and was able to turn off the automatic updates in the security center, but rebooting still had the problem.

We may try the WINDOWS XP REPAIR function, unless someone can give us another suggestion!

Cheers, Twell