Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

winxp pro update to sp2

• Please log in to reply

mnadeem

mnadeem

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hi dir
I have winxp pro update to sp2 , its taking too much time to load , have 10gb hard drive , remaining 3gb and 128mb ram with norton internet security and norton anti software ..
can any one explain why is so .. something is running back ground and how to find what is that ,, please help :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
windows xp with 128mb of ram is like putting on a pair of pants that is two sizes too small

Define slow (minutes)

bbcsuk

bbcsuk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
If you run windows xp with 128Mb ram you are running on the basic specification for this operating system as a system builder and support engineer I would suggest that you increase the ram to at least 256Mb but I prefer 512Mb as this tends to run very well. It sounds like you are running an old motherboard because of your system specs so I expect that you may only increase the ram to possibly 384Mb
If you increase the ram don't forget to go into Control panel then System then Advanced then Performance settings then advanced then virtual memory settings then look at the recommended setting at the bottom and set this as a minimum in the box above unless it is already set to system manged size if it is leave it if not set the minimum recommended and then treble the maximum size.

Try this :tazz: