Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

safe mode troubleshooting (resolved)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

curious_x

curious_x

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I think I finally resolved my issue here so i'm just putting an overview of my situation. I learned a lot during the process of finding answers for many errors and picked up a lot more insight here that was very useful.
I guess my problem was that a virus might have disabled my safemode causing it to shut off after a short while. after running malwarebytes, superantispyware, avg, and black light I got rid of all the viruses I could. unfortunately it didn't resolve my issue of safe mode shutting off. I posted a hijackthis file log for someone to read and they pointed out which files I needed to delete and did so. now my safe mode seems to run fine and I also noticed that the fan functions returned back to normal as it no longer runs hard during safe mode.

here's what I was advised to do for someone who may get insight from my experience.

"Send a HiJackThis logfile to my helpdesk, or copy and paste it here for evaluation. "

"Don't worry about the OTL utility. HJT works fine for most things, and is easier to use.

First: Disable the Superantispyware, or just turn it off as it will interfere with cleaning..

Then fix the following entries with HJT and follow the instructions after the list.

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1E8A6170-7264-4D0F-BEAE-D42A53123C75} - (no file)

O4 - HKCU......RunOnce: [Shockwave Updater] C:..Windows..system32..Adobe..Shockwave 11..SwHelper_1151601.exe -Update -1151601 -"Mozilla/5.0_(Windows;_U;_Windows_NT_6.0;_en-US;_rv:1.9.1.7)_Geck o/20091221_Firefox/3.5.7_(.NET_CLR_3.5.30729)" -"http://rarara100.sg1...onballztoernooi .dcr"

Now immediately purge your restore folder like this:
Go to Start|Control Panel|Backup and Restore Center.
On the left, select 'Create a restore point or change settings'.
In the window that opens, select the 'System Protection' tab.
Each available disk which is listed, has a checkbox alongside it. Deselect each of these checkboxes.
A new window is displayed, select 'Turn System Restore Off'.

This disables System Restore. You should then immediately re-enable it.
Reselect all the listed drives.
Click 'OK'.
Restart the computer.

Now
Go here: http://infernallogic...-vir/index.html
Download Malwarebytes Antimalware, and Avast! 5.0 home

Install, update and run a FULL system scan with malwarebytes.
Uninstall the (AVG) crap, and install Avast! selecting to do a "boot-time" scan.

Then send a NEW HiJackThis logfile for followup."

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
You need to follow our instructions and post in the Virus Removal forum