Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Document and Picture fileTitles in blue fonts

• Please log in to reply

purple21

purple21

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
We have had quite a bit of computer problems. After a system recovery, I noticed some of the titles of our document and pictures have turned blue. :) As far as I can tell, the files appear to be intact and unharmed, but I don't know for sure. And every so often, more and more file titles turn blue and stay blue. What does this mean? Thanks.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did you recently run the disk cleanup tools located on the properties tab of your C drive? if so you probably left the option to compress old files to save space. anything in blue is compressed. unfortunately the only way to uncompress these files is to open them. once you open the files/folders they'll uncompress and stay that way unless you run the disk clean up utility and leave the compress old files box checked

purple21

purple21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Oh, so it's just compressed files and is perfectly ok? Thanks!!! :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...it's mostly ok...you MAY end up running into an issue where a system file or driver or something got compressed that won't get decompressed on it's own during normal operation. if this happens you'll probably get an error message saying a specific file can't be opened, do a search for that file and see if it shows as compressed. if it does open the file and you should be ok from there

purple21

purple21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Ok, so I may want to uncheck that "compress old files" option on disk clean up; I run it often. If there's any risk of files not working properly or acting strange because they're compressed, I'm not sure I want to compress them then.
Thanks for answering my questions! :)