In October 2009, we played a Disney DVD in our computer that wreaked havoc when we loaded it. It popped up several players, and it skipped chapters, playing only a few cartoons. After that, we had problems with anything related to Flash, videos were REALLY slow, and the internet connections and start up grew increasingly slow. At some points, our laptop was pretty much unusable.
We cleaned old files, defragged, and now have about 55% free space. However, we still have issues. We can't seem to view any pages with Flash, and Flash won't install on our machine at all. Lot's of pages that we visit on the internet get stuck or lock the computer entirely.
We installed Norton Antivirus not long after the initial incident, and it started behaving so inconsistently - locking up, using all of the resources, flashing errors then shutting down the computer - that we removed it. Per the folks at Spyware Warrior, who directed me here, we now have "Avast" installed on our machine. We also have a RegCure registry cleaner still installed.
We also ran MalwareBytes checks and Spybots checks, but still found little. We had and removed CureZone after it asked in the middle of scanning for viruses whether we wanted to install the Google toolbar and when we selected "no", it cancelled the scan it had just run for an hour and half.
The kind helpers at SW.com indicated that it may be a hardware or software conflict, and recommended that we come here. Hoping you can help.