Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slooooooow Laptop; Can't view or Download Flash

• Please log in to reply

natejack

natejack

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there,

In October 2009, we played a Disney DVD in our computer that wreaked havoc when we loaded it. It popped up several players, and it skipped chapters, playing only a few cartoons. After that, we had problems with anything related to Flash, videos were REALLY slow, and the internet connections and start up grew increasingly slow. At some points, our laptop was pretty much unusable.

We cleaned old files, defragged, and now have about 55% free space. However, we still have issues. We can't seem to view any pages with Flash, and Flash won't install on our machine at all. Lot's of pages that we visit on the internet get stuck or lock the computer entirely.

We installed Norton Antivirus not long after the initial incident, and it started behaving so inconsistently - locking up, using all of the resources, flashing errors then shutting down the computer - that we removed it. Per the folks at Spyware Warrior, who directed me here, we now have "Avast" installed on our machine. We also have a RegCure registry cleaner still installed.

We also ran MalwareBytes checks and Spybots checks, but still found little. We had and removed CureZone after it asked in the middle of scanning for viruses whether we wanted to install the Google toolbar and when we selected "no", it cancelled the scan it had just run for an hour and half.

The kind helpers at SW.com indicated that it may be a hardware or software conflict, and recommended that we come here. Hoping you can help.

Thanks,

Jacie

Advertisements

kimsland

kimsland

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
You can fully uninstall Flash Player here: http://kb2.adobe.com...1/tn_14157.html
Then Restart and go here to re-install the latest Flash Player: http://www.adobe.com...cts/flash/about (allowing any Norton security popups)

natejack

natejack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, We've actually taken that step. I've done it from my profile. Is it necessary to do that from Safe Mode or something? It didn't really seem to help.

kimsland

kimsland

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Try the following: Confirm you can still get on the Internet all is working (except Flash media at this point :))
Then install the latest Flash Player (version 10.0.45.2) http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ (Note: Remove the tick on "Free McAfee® Security Scan Plus (optional)")

You can also confirm your Flash Player settings online HERE

I'm not a big fan of Norton. But I know that it can corrupt under Malware infection.
If the above does not fix the issue you may want to try doing the same after uninstalling Norton first (you can re-install it later)
Here are the steps to help you with that. You will also need to run the Norton Removal Tool , then Restart.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Natejack,

Have you run RegCure? For the record, we never advise the use of registry cleaners. Cleaning the registry will not improve your system's performance, and we've seen many cases where they've made a machine unbootable. I would advise removing this program.

Since you state you've already removed Norton, the last paragraph in the above post won't be necessary.

kimsland

kimsland

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Since you state you've already removed Norton, the last paragraph in the above post won't be necessary.

Did you also run the Norton Removal Tool?

natejack

natejack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, I followed the instructions, and it didn't help at all. If anything, the internet seemed slower. I am also starting to see error messages when I try to shut down my computer.

Still won't even get close to loading Flash. Any other suggestions?

Edited by natejack, 15 March 2010 - 04:00 PM.