Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sudden rdbss.sys error when shutting down

• Please log in to reply

Farferello

Farferello

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I installed a new monitor and keyboard a few days ago and have now started to get a rdbss.sys error sometimes.

Suddenly Firefox will stop working and crash when I try to close it. When I try to re-open it will give me an error and if I try to do ctrl-alt-delete that will also give me an error. When I then reboot it will take me to the blue screen and it said "driver unloaded without cancelling pending operations"

I then have to turn off the computer via the power button. It powers up okay but then sometimes it happens again, it has done it twice so far.

I have made sure to install the new monitor and keyboard via the disks they came with and I'm going to check the websites for any further but does anyone know what could be causing this rdbss.sys error? My computer is less than a year old and I'm worried this is going to damage it. I haven't had any problem with other monitors installed in the past.

I use Windows XP and would be incredibly grateful if someone could offer any advice.

Advertisements

kimsland

kimsland

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Monitors do not require 3rd party drivers
Keyboards are the same. Unless you installed a program that sets up function keys etc.

Try each one of the following, testing after completing: :)

Download and run CCleaner

Start > Run > chkdsk /r > ok > Y > Enter > Restart
Allow CheckDisk to Check/Repair your system on next restart

Connect your Modem via Ethernet not USB (also remove any USB Modem drivers from Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel)

Run A Hard Drive Diagnostics test (Many manufacturers have this, here's Seagate's one)

Start > Run SFC /ScanNow > ok (Your Windows Setup Disc may be required for this scan)

Update to XP Service Pack 3

Read: Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3

Edited by kimsland, 09 March 2010 - 09:52 PM.