Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor not responding after GFX card install

• Please log in to reply

iwhisperwolf

iwhisperwolf

• Pip
  • 3 posts
You guys have helped me big time before, so I thought it couldn't hurt to open a support ticket with you while I was trying to figure this out as I'm plagued at this point with a lack of information.

My nephew pretty much handed me his computer and said "fix this" without much information.

All I know, is that he attempted to install a new graphics card, failed, removed the card, and now his computer won't recognize his monitor from it's original port.

The computer turns on fine, and the monitor indicator light goes green at start up, then quickly goes back to orange. The monitor never displays anything.

I'm not quite sure how to go about fixing this when I can't ever see anything on screen.

Help would be most appreciated

His computer is an old "Frankenstein" so I'm not sure what type it is.
He's running Windows 7.

Thank you!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If he had on-board video then what happened is the bios recognized the graphics card and switched off the on-board graphics. Easist way to check is to get into the BIOS and see whats there.

When the comp is booting up keep hitting the delete key until you see the blue screen BIOS page. There use the arrow keys, and the enter key, to navigate to the graphics. See if you can change the graphics to the on-board graphics. Then reboot the comp back to normal operations and see if the video works. the Esc key is used to get out of areas and the BIOS( be sure to save when getting out of the BIOS).

Your nephew mave have killed the video card by not making sure any static electricity was grounded before installing the card. I would try another card if available. Windows should boot into a ugly screen even if there's no drivers for the video card. A driver install will fix the 16 color screen.

SRX660

iwhisperwolf

iwhisperwolf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks so much SRX660!
I'll give it a shot & let you know how it turns out.