Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop Goes Black Randomly

• Please log in to reply

Eviltrav

Eviltrav

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi All,

I've been rather stumped with a problem I've had with my PC of late and haven't been able to find anything that addresses it in my search for answers.

What's happening I hear you think - well on a fairly regular basis recently I'll walk away from the computer for a few minutes leaving the monitor on, when I return my desktop has gone black. I can't see any of the windows/programs I had open previously, I can however still see the explorer bar running across the bottom of the screen with all the programs/windows I have open still appearing there. I can also still see the miniature version pop up when I put the mouse over the program tabs. If i move the mouse off the explorer bar into the desktop area, the cursor disappears. Closing all the programs doesn't help. Sometimes when I hit ctrl-alt-del my desktop comes back - sometimes I need to log out to end the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas about what the problem might be?

Advertisements

kimsland

kimsland

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
In order of Hardware possible faults:
  • Monitor
  • Connections (internal and external)
  • Video Card
  • Power Supply
  • RAM
  • Motherboard
But I think it's likely just dust :)

You will need to remove the power cord
Open the side cover
Then blow out all internal dust (compressed air cans can be purchased from computer service stores)
Then re-seat all connections and hardware (not the CPU though :))
Put the power cord back in
Turn On