Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do you gues update your OS?

• Please log in to reply

reload147

reload147

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I don't see the point, I think it makes my comp slower :)
So what do you guys do? :) Update or not update?

:)

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Update.

kalju24

kalju24

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hello.
I quess u have xp at the moment to go vista is definitly slower but 7 takes almoust the same as xp what are your comp spec then i maybe can tell it better.

reload147

reload147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I have experience with all of the OS xp,vista, win 7.. Im currently on Win7. When every time I install OS it's quick and reliable. But after a while problems start to occur.. Maybe cause of the updates? Just after starting this thread my Internet Explorers Icon disappeared O_O before I updated it was fine :)

My specs is-
ati sapphire radeon 4870 1GB
Intel Quad core Q9650 3.0 ghz
4.0 gb RAM
Asus pro Pq5 motherboard

magical2099

magical2099

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
main downside to not updating are the massive security leaks they patch. the hackers are constantly finding new ways to exploit holes, and Microsoft is constantly patching em. A good example is the Koobface worm. it would still be running strong on the ignorant populace if it weren't for an update that stops it getting in and the Malicious Software removal tool to take it out, which is delivered through windows update. 9 times in 10 updates don't use up much resources except during download and install, which is why most folks set it to auto around 2 or 3 in the morning. if your resources are being hogged investigate whats doing it. might also wanna check out your hard drive. if it needs defragging that'll slow it down, and if its more than 3/4 or so full that causes slowdowns as well. give some more detail and we can dig further

magical2099

magical2099

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
wow what a set of specs. cost you a pretty penny too didn't it? gaming rig, right? lots of installing and uninstalling? sounds like windows rot or malware. if its windows rot (registry corruption due to massive redundant and conflicting key entries) you can clean it a little with ccleaner. i use their registry tool alot, run it and scan for issues and if you decide to use it create a backup, it gives you the option. are they strictly windows problems or are some of them driver related?

Edited by magical2099, 10 March 2010 - 04:33 AM.

kalju24

kalju24

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Wow with those spec go with win7 like ultimate 64bit but yeah that ie problem is malware or bad win.

reload147

reload147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
haha it did cost me lots ^^ £985 :) I got 3 partitions Os partition is 212GB free another is 75 out of 75 gb free and and another one is 28.9 out of 97 GB is free. Last time I defrag was some weeks ago :).. I was deciding not to use those softwares like tweaking win files, fixing registry.. I thought It does make the pc faster but after a while it gets x2 bad :).. But ill use CCleaner or the other one.

magical2099

magical2099

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
if ya want a faster defrag that tends to do an awesome job try defraggler. made by the same company that makes ccleaner. Piriform, i believe is the name, not certain on the spelling. any clue as to what the problem actually is? the system can't be slow for no reason. is it processor thats topping out? RAM being eaten up? what? next time it starts acting up find out why. open taskmanager and look around-- unless you are familiar with it, DON'T DO ANYTHING, just look and post back. lots of bad can come from mucking around with the taskmanager and there ain't no undoing it either :) good luck

reload147

reload147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
ok thnx :)