Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want to Upgrade GPU

• Please log in to reply

Gelendelith

Gelendelith

• Pip
  • 3 posts
ALright So I want to upgrade my non existant pci-e video card...Okay So I've tried to understand the power rails thingies on the psu but I honestly can't so heres my specs... I need to know if I can power a Geforce 7200 gs Card which says only needs a 250w power supply. So heres are teh specs:

Motherboard: Intel D915GAG
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 506 Socket 778LGA 2.66 GHz (Prescott)
RAM: 4 Sticks of DDR 512MB 333MHZ
HDD: I honestly don't know the RPM I'm figuring it's 7200 it's 250gigs
GPU: Atm I'm using the crappy onboard GPU and need to get a PCI-e card Lol
CD-Drive: Took it out as I never use CD's to begin with. unless formating.

And thats pretty much it other then my USB laser mouse Oh Right... I've got 5 fans... Don't ask the MM Cause I wouldn't know... All i know is thier not that big and 2 of them have a blue light on them. as in LED I think.

Here are my PSU specs.
Watts: 350
+3.3v: 24a
+5.0v: 27a
+12v: 10a
-12v: 0.8a
+5sb: 2.0a

So there it is...Could someone be a real great person and tell me if I could put a Geforce 7200 gs in my PCI-e Slot? Please and thank you

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The 7200GS is an old card now. Why do you need to upgrade the card and why do you specifically want to put in a 7200GS?

Gelendelith

Gelendelith

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Specifically, I'm a gamer...And I know It's an old card haha But I've been running with the radeon 9250 for the longest time now And it only supports Pixel shader 1.4 and vertex shader 1.1. Atm I don't really need an amazing card All I really need is a card that supports both shader models at 2.0 and in this card case 3.0. I read into it a bit and it said it only requires a 250w Psu but watts aren't everything. That and I found one cheap Haha I kinda only have a 60$ budget :S

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Your 9250 is better than the 7200GS anyway so it's a pointless upgrade as far as I'm concerned.
What games are you playing or trying to play?

Gelendelith

Gelendelith

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Lol.... I'm sorry I Shoulda Specified... Radeon 9250.. Geforce 7200GS The Radeon i Have is a PCI card...the 7200GS I want is a PCI-e card :) I shoulda speicified sorry :S The games I'd like to play Are As Follows :) The Settlers 6 Rise of empires... Yeah The Radeon Is supposed to be able to run it But apparently It's can't for some reason. Probably the whole PCI thing Lol Also A few others are Heroes Of Annihilated Empires, Rise of nations: Rise of Legends.. Most of the games I Want to play Require Pixel and vertex shader 2.0 support. I've pretty much exhausted anything my Radeon can play Haha.