Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My wired local area connection keeps connecting and disconnecting

• Please log in to reply

mskm718

mskm718

• Pip
  • 1 posts
We gave my mom my husband's old HP because hers crapped out. She uses verizon dsl connected to a wireless modem. Lately the local area connection keeps disconnecting on and off saying network cable unplugged. Tried changing with two other different ethernet cables and nothing. Even changed the phone line. The funny thing is my laptop wirelessly connects to the modem so I know that it's not the modem. I even spoke with verizon and had me run the computer in safe mode with networking to rule out that the network card isn't damaged. But I was able to get on so no go. He said now it sounds like a software problem to run a comprehensive virus scan to see if something got in and is causing it to go haywire. The scan came out with 1 threat resolved but problem still there. Next step was to do system restore as far back but with multiple tries it says it cannot be restored. Now I really don't know what to do. I need to reset the system but the never came with the xp disc.

Advertisements

kimsland

kimsland

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Sounds more like hardware to me
Also note that System Restore is best done in Safe Mode (as confirmed by MS themselves)

Is this a PCI plugged in (addon) Network card?
Or is it onboard? (part of the main motherboard)

Also you can update all your HP Drivers (including onboard network) HERE
You should also confirm all Windows Security updates and Service Packs are up to date (XP is up to SP3)

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I ran into the exact same problem a couple months ago, but mine was effecting both the wireless and wired side. My desktop would show "cable disconnected" every minute or so, and then reconnect. One of my laptops would say connected but internet access wouldn't work until I repaired the connection. After chasing my tail for about a week updating drivers, swapping cables and firmware updates, I ended up replacing the router. Everything has been rock solid for months.

I'm not saying this is your problem, but it's what solved my issues.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 12 March 2010 - 09:10 AM.