Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RUNDLL Error after virus removal

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

cjedimaster

cjedimaster

• Pip
  • 4 posts
A friend got the Internet Security 2010 virus on her Dell Dimension E310 desktop running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004. She had the virus for over a month by the time she asked me to repair it for her. I tried reinstalling my copy of XP Home Edition (she lost hers) but it wouldn't boot off the CD. I managed to run anti-malware software from her external drive and clean off her computer enough to download and install anti-virus on her machine.

After hours and hours of cleaning out her PC I got everything working but when I restarted I got a blue screen saying the system couldn't load so I restarted on Last Known Good Config and got a RUNDLL error. I can't find anything online about my specific file that it says is missing. I tried cleaning the system registry and restarting but it didn't do anything. I downloaded a few registry cleaners and cleaned EVERYTHING it came up with but the error still pops up. I went into the registry and cleaned out the Software>Microsoft>Windows>Run key but it still pops up when I restart.

This is the error I get:

Error loading C:\Documents and Settings\Charlotte\Local Settings\Application Data\nvmcclbmulti\nvmcclbmulti.dll

The specified module could not be found.

I went into the files and found the folder but nothing was inside. I deleted the folder thinking that would fix it but it didn't. Please help! I have to give her computer back to her and I hate to tell her "I fixed everything but now you'll get an error every time you start up. Whoops."

Advertisements

kimsland

kimsland

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
You know that RunDLL shortcut startup error is not a big deal.
The big deal was you repairing everything and getting it ready for her, malware free :)

Anyway try that, it'll work :)

Edited by Rorschach112, 11 March 2010 - 04:04 AM.
removed malware advice

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.

kimsland

kimsland

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I am replying to you here Rorschach112

I do not believe I gave Malware advice
The malware file you mentioned is not the issue
The issue is the shortcut to the file.

Shortcut entries and their fixes should be in the OS forum (ie HERE)
They are easily removed with the simple tool(s) I mentioned.

Yes you can direct the member to re-confirm all malware is removed
But I dispute that you have removed OS Support information.
Please take a moment, and put back my links

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
kimsland, this topic is for cjedimaster's problem, its not for you to have a discussion about the rules.

I will address your points in a private message, and I expect you to do the same.

cjedimaster

cjedimaster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm certainly glad I left my window open last night so I didn't lose the links. This is not a malware issue. I took all the necessary steps to remove the malware and the system is clean. This is a problem with the registry, that's why I posted where I did. Please do me the courtesy of not assuming I have never appropriately used a forum before.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Your problem is malware related, please follow my instructions above

cjedimaster

cjedimaster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
You just insist on being wrong I see.

Thank you kimsland, your registry advice fixed the problem. The REGISTRY problem, since there was no malware problem when I posted this thread.

Rorschach112, I suggest you stop being so egotistical about your powers on a technical support forum and learn to actually think about what other people are saying.

kimsland

kimsland

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Thank-you for letting us know the problem is resolved. :)

As this will be my last post on this forum I wish to state something I have said everywhere for many years.
I always help the member requiring support when I'm able to.
As I can not follow the rules here (although not exactly sure which rule that is) in providing support in Windows OS I have decided to leave.
Missing entries on Windows startup is not a malware issue (IMHO) This is obviously against other support members and Admins thoughts here.

I wish you the best in your Malware support, I am off to find a forum to help on Windows OS. Just as I replied to this very thread.

Note: As my account has present restrictions placed on it for Mods to check my post before it is submitted!
I would respect that a Mod could pass this post through, so others are aware why I am not here.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

and learn to actually think about what other people are saying

...who (poeple) are actually wrong :)

cjedimaster

cjedimaster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
So you disagree that a computer that has no malware in it but a registry key problem should be addressed in an area about registry problems. Interesting.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
All I'm saying is, that if there is a registry entry pointing to a malicious file (even, if the file itself is gone), there is a good chance, that the computer is not 100% clean and it should be checked by malware people.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

You just insist on being wrong I see.

Thank you kimsland, your registry advice fixed the problem. The REGISTRY problem, since there was no malware problem when I posted this thread.

Rorschach112, I suggest you stop being so egotistical about your powers on a technical support forum and learn to actually think about what other people are saying.

I'll thank you to be polite. Rorschach is not being egotistical, he's applying his considerable malware removal knowledge to this issue. Your symptoms were typical of malware infection, and I trust Rorschach to know what he's talking about. I would also state that what you were seeing was the result of a previous infection. If Kimsland's post worked, then good for you - it doesn't mean that what he did fell within the guidelines of our forum, and it means that every one gets lucky sometimes. I'm glad that you know so much about malware removal that you can state there was no malware on that PC anymore. I guess the rest of us don't know what we're talking about.

Edited by sari, 12 March 2010 - 07:26 AM.