Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First Time System Builder In Need of Some Advice

• Please log in to reply

AliL

AliL

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi everybody, it sure has been a while since I was last here, probably about 2 years! Well, I'm still using my age old laptop (it's just had it's 8th birthday) and to be honest I'm in need of a newer and better system. So, I've decided on a desktop as portability isn't an issue anymore (with the possibility of maybe getting a netbook in the future, I've not decided on that yet) and have been saving up for a while and now have a very healthy budget of £1100! :) As you probably guessed, with this budget I'm after a mid/high end gaming system as I obviously have been missing out with my laptop and my flatmate's computer has got me back in the game :). I've been looking at parts for a while and so far this is what I've come up with:

Case: Antec Three Hundred
Motherboard: Gigabyte P55A-UD3R
CPU: Intel Core i5 750
RAM: Corsair Dominator 4GB DDR3 PC-12800 (1600MHz) CAS 8-8-8-24
GPU: XFX Nvidia GTX275 896MB
HDD: WD Caviar Black 500GB 7200RPM 32MB Cache
DVD: Samsung SH-S223L
Wireless Card: D-Link DWL-G510
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit / Linux (Probably Ubuntu)
Screen: Samsung SM2333SW 23" 1920x1080 5ms DVI
Keyboard: Logitech 350

You'll probably have noticed that there is no PSU in that list, for the main reason that I simply cannot understand them! :) For example I've heard that Corsair PSUs are the best and so I looked on their website and they had a form to see what was best for my system and they said that I want between 550 and 750 watts. Simple enough you might say, but the graphics card requires 2 6-pin connectors which that PSU doesn't seem to have :) despite the form not throwing up any error when I plug the details of my potential system in :) . And I've been informed that multiple "rails" are better whatever they mean...although I just don't get them. So could anyone offer me advice there?

Finally, I've already got a mouse and a good enough sound system set up already so I don't need those upgrading yet, and I've decided to stick with the stock CPU cooler at the moment as it should suffice, but at some stage in the near future I will probably want to overclock my system so I guess a more powerful PSU is required.

Can anyone see any glaring problems with this potential setup? Will the case need more fans? Will everything run on linux?

Lol, I know this seems to be twenty questions but I really don't want to get this wrong as I'm sure you can imagine :)

Many thanks guys/girls,

Al

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Multiple rails are not necessarily better than is a single rail. Linux should run fine with a bit of tweaking.

Around £135
http://www.corsair.c...50/default.aspx