Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tried to install dual boot on Win 7, now no OS will load

• Please log in to reply

Rzarekt

Rzarekt

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have had windows 7 installed on my PC for a little while, but I wanted to create a dual boot and install windows xp back on it.
I separated a a small 5 gig partition on my hard drive to install windows xp on.
I put the xp cd in the drive in rebooted and ran the disc, it came up to the selection of the partition and I selected the partition and it formatted it to ntfs and then it restarts to continue setup, BUT the setup never continued...
Now my computer wont start up in windows 7 OR the xp setup.
If I boot from the windows xp cd, it just goes through the same choose the partition to install on thing and restarts.

Please help!!

Thanks.

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
When setting up a dual boot system with MS operating systems, you should install the oldest OS first then proceed to newer versions. Failure to do so yields problems like you are currently experiencing.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529