Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remote Desktop Connection

• Please log in to reply

CMS2772

CMS2772

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
OK, so here's the scoop. I live in Indiana, my mother lives in Florida. She has some problems with her PC that I'm sure I could fix if I was there.
That ain't gonna happen. So I need to set up a connection between she and I so I can fix it. I'm going to use Remote Desktop Connection.
I have a Westell 7500 wireless DSL modem with three rigs and she has a Comcast broadband cable modem hooked up to a Linksys WRT54G router with the Dell wired and an iMac wirelessly connected.
She is running XP SP3 on her PC and I'm running Vista Home 64 bit. I have tried a few things with my remote connection app but no joy. Is there a need for a VPN?
What is the secret here....anyone?
I've seen some guides online but they don't cover everything....obviously, so could somebody point me towards the light here? Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Have you tried something like LogMein?

CMS2772

CMS2772

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yeah, I just used it today. It worked beautifully. Although, I would like a more permanent solution since it's just a trial with LogMeIn. Plus, I like a challenge and Windows seems to provide one with everything I try to do.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Your mum would need a static IP address with her ISP. Not sure about over there in la-la land but here in Australia this generally requires the use of more expensive "business" grade internet plan.

Her computer would need to be running an OS that supports remote desktop, it will need to be turned on and configured with users who are allowed to access the computer remotely (It will need a password on the user account).

You will need to setup port forwarding on her modem so that RDP connects to a particular machine on her network. In this instance, set the computer to have a static LAN IP address with the modem and then setup port 3389 (RDP port) to point to this particular LAN IP address.

WIN

:)

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
try teamviewer!

http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

You can set it to start with windows, add her to a buddy list for easy connect and there is no port forwarding ect required!
very useful tool i found a few years ago!

Josh

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you tried remote assistance? it's built into XP and your mom can start it up any time she likes. all she has to do is initiate a remote assistance request, and send it via email (easiest way) to you. you open up the email and click connect and you're basically on

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
All are good ideas.

For referance.....LogMeIn Free

Tim Kennedy

Tim Kennedy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
LogMeIn free is a good option, but I think a full software suite would be best here. There are just so many options left out with the free options. I would look into Proxy Networks (link in sig). I have been using them for years and I think they are among the best of the available options. I use this software for the EXACT same purposes, so I know how well it works for that application. Give their free demo a look and I bet you will be able to justify making the purchase.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Are you looking for a free or paid solution? Im a big advocate of Teamviewer, but it is shareware and the license is ridiculously expensive ($600).

You could try something like Logmein as already suggested or VNC.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I use crossloop...its based on tightvnc with a nice GUI...there are paid and free versions...you can transfer files and programs between the computers...works great for tutoring too...you can swap from controlling their system so they see your system screen and watch you doing whatever...