Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Comodo Internet Security & Warning

• Please log in to reply

CompaqBabe

CompaqBabe

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
My antivirus/malware software program has expired so I downloaded the COMODO Internet Security program. However, as it was installing, I got a message from my computer saying that if I installed this software it would slow or totally inturrupt my computer because of a program called "TAP-Win 32 Adapter V9" What the heck is this? I am NOT totally computer-savvy. I won't be installing COMODO until I hear from you regarding this. In the meantime, my computer is unprotected! :)

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
are you using VPN?

CompaqBabe

CompaqBabe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
What is "VPN?"

Buttons1

Buttons1

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
That actually refers to Trust Connect. Trust connect is a WiFi service that encrypts your data over wireless signals. It is automatically set to install by default. It's safe to use.

Edited by Buttons1, 15 March 2010 - 09:31 PM.

CompaqBabe

CompaqBabe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
What is safe to use-- Trust Connect or Comodo? Are you saying it's okay for me to install Comodo in spite of the warning I got? I'm really anxious to get some protection for my computer.

Buttons1

Buttons1

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Both are safe to use. Although trust connect is a trial, but it is very inexpensive about 3.99. Also comodo requires quite a bit of attention. If your not as inexperienced as you say, then I would go for a different product. Avast! Home Edition does very well as so does Microsoft Security Essentials. Now if you do install avast keep in mind that you need to register it. It is free and easy to do. Double click the icon in the task bar and click maintenance. There should be a registration tab that will help register.

Edited by Buttons1, 16 March 2010 - 02:49 PM.

CompaqBabe

CompaqBabe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thank you for your reply! I installed Avast! on my system. Are there any other (free) programs you recommend I put on my machine to keep it clean and safe? I welcome the advice.

Buttons1

Buttons1

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Yep no problem. I would also install malwarebytes' and superantispyware. They both do very well. Just make sure you update them at least once a week. :)

Edited by Buttons1, 17 March 2010 - 06:52 PM.

CompaqBabe

CompaqBabe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
And Malwarebytes and superantispyware won't conflict with each other or with Avast?

Buttons1

Buttons1

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Shouldn't, nether have real-time protection. I just recommend them for backup scanners.

CompaqBabe

CompaqBabe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Okay-- I'll download them!

xblindx

xblindx

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Personally, I would recommend using either Avira AntiVir Free/Personal edition, avast! or Comodo for an antivirus program, just be sure that you only have 1 anti-virus program installed on your machine

For a firewall I would recommend Comodo, please note that the Comodo firewall installation also includes an Anti-virus program, if you decide to choose another anti-virus (not Comodo), then please be sure to only install the firewall, you will be prompted during installation if you want to install just the firewall, or the firewall and the anti-virus.

The on-demand anti-malware scanners I recommend are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAnti-Spyware.

For additional protection, SpywareBlaster is a great program to protect you from visiting malicious sites, and blocking tracking cookies. Note that SpywareBlaster isn't an actively running program. You download it, run it once, and then make sure you update it every week or 2 and you will always be protected. It works by tweaking some IE and Firefox settings to block tracking cookies and provide additional protection.

CompaqBabe

CompaqBabe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thanks for all your advice, everyone! Any more?

dm27

dm27

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hello CompaqBabe,

It seems you are on the right track. So, what security applications have you decided on for now?

How about your browser? Do you use IE or an alternate one, such as Firefox, Chrome or Opera?

In case you have not seen it, this thread HERE discusses Free Security products.

Sincerely,

dm

CompaqBabe

CompaqBabe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I'm using Avast! SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes for all my security needs, even though they take up precious RAM resources. I use IE for the internet.