Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk boot failure, insert system disk

• Please log in to reply

pyron81

pyron81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Starcraft 2 is a beta. Lazylauncher is in fact a hack that allows you to play the computer instead of regular opponents online.

Battlefield heroes is a free game online game. > http://www.battlefieldheroes.com/

FYI: Sorry I keep referring to the game. Starcraft appears to be completely fixed. Battlefield is the one giving me issues now but as I said it did it before in the past and it only happens with that game.

Thanks for all your help!

Edited by pyron81, 18 March 2010 - 09:13 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
And what about my last questions?

pyron81

pyron81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Oh I am sorry. Lazylauncher is a p2p. Both Battlefield and Starcraft 2 are legit or from their respective websites.

Edited by pyron81, 19 March 2010 - 04:55 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What do you mean legit? You paid for them from the website?

pyron81

pyron81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Battlefield heroes is free to play. Starcraft is in beta which means the company send's out invites to certain people to test for bugs before it comes out for retail.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK It sounds like you may have found a bug with the game but I also think the LazyLauncher may be part of your problem.

pyron81

pyron81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
It's a free game I am not really all the surprised. I guess I'll write their tech support and see what they say.

pyron81

pyron81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Thank you for all your help!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please let me know what they say. If they have no answer then just to be sure I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

pyron81

pyron81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
rshaffer61

I finally got in touch with the game tech support. They gave me a few suggestions for updating my soundcard and also looking for updates for my motherboard. While I was doing all that I run a Memtest just to check the memory which passed with no errors. I am going to do chk dsk again today because I got another kernel_inpage_file_error last night twice. Once will playing the game and then after (first time it's happen NOT in game).

I also ran my virus scan, maleware bytes, spybot and hijackthis. I don't claim to be an expert but I did train to learn to look at the logs and I saw nothing of interest. I will still post on the maleware forums but I had a questions. I've done some reading about one of my issues which is this file called atapi.sys. What they are telling me is this:

Sorry about that.
Here from your dxdaig log
==================================
Name: Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C0&SUBSYS_B0021458&REV_01\3&13C0B0C5&0&FA
Driver: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\atapi.sys, 5.01.2600.5512 (English), 4/13/2008 13:40:30, 96512 bytes
==================================

atapi.sys is a driver used in your IDE controller

The Vendor ID shows that it is made by Intel, this is why I asked about Intel driver updates.

The IDE controller is tricked sometimes by virtual drives, to make them appear as hardware on your system

The IDE controller also handles your disk drives, and sometimes hard drives, this is why I asked about firmware updates.

Your can't write to disk error, makes me think that maybe you may have a bad sector on your hard drive, possibly in your page file section.
Do you know how to turn off your page file, and can you test with it off?
You have 2GB memory installed, so you should be able to do that.

If you do not understand this ^ then maybe you should run chkdisk when you go to bed tonight.
This program will scan your hard drive for errors after you reboot your PC.
This will take a long time to finish, the scan is extremely slow, and it will attempt to recover bad sectors.
The more bad sectors it finds the longer it takes.

Open My Computer, RIGHT click on the C drive icon, choose Properties.
Next click on the Tools tab, and then click on the Check Now button in the Error Checking section.
When the next window opens, check both boxes, then click on Start Now.
A message should pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer.
Now Click on the Start button and choose turn off computer then choose Restart and go to bed.

Disabling your page file is a much quicker way to troubleshoot this error, but it will not identify bad sectors on your drive.

S

Edit: Note I have not seen this error before, I am just suggesting steps that I would take in this situation.
Also if you could provide the names of any other files that you may see in your blue screen errors.

I did some research and if I am not mistaken this file has something to do with hard drives over the size of 137gigs. Something about XP not recognizing anything over that size without this file. Could it be possible that since in the blue screens I am only seeing this file that this file itself could be causing the problems or maybe the fact that my hard drive is not sectioned off into smaller sizes, is this causing the problem? I know that seems silly but I am looking for something that gives me any sort of answer.

Thanks again.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If XP is not recognizing drives over 137 gigs then you need to update your SP version. Do you know wha version you have now?
Push and hold the Windows key on keyboard. This is the one with the Microsft windows logo on it.
While holding Win key down click on the Pause\Break key

This should open the System properties window
On this window it will show
System info:

Microsoft Windows: type and version
Service Pack number

Registered Name
Register Number

Computer:
CPU type
Memory
I need all the above info in your next reply Except for Register name and number.
This is private and we don't need to know this information

pyron81

pyron81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Sorry I have not been able to get back to you. Windows does see more than 137gigs. In the last few days I've tried a few things and I am sorry to say I am running into more problems now.

I uninstalled both games. That very same day my computer started restarting on it's own. I kept getting the same error about apati.sys being the cause. So when I finally did get the computer up I checked the log to see what was happening to my computer and I noticed my firewall being disabled.

I ran maleware bytes. 0 viruses and errors. I ran hijackthis, no bad entries. I ran avast o viruses. So confused and really frustrated I ran another hard drive check using a boot disk. As soon as it got to random surface scan I got

Error: LBA 0
AJ24: Bad sector

and would not move forward. I tried running chk dsk /r to fix the error and the computer restarted and I got the error message service could not be completed. So I said let me try restoring my computer maybe that will help. I had serval restore points and started doing a restore and it crashed. Message service could not be completed.

Tonight I am trying to run chk dsk again hoping it might fix the problem but at this point I am not sure what to do.

We have a tech support at work that constantly upgrades machines and fixes machines and I told him how originally I did not get an error when I ran the hard drive test but I still got disk boot failures. He said it is possible the hard drive could be good...but the wiring on the back bad.

Anyway I wanted to see if you had any other suggestions? I am trying to run chk dsk again but last time it crashed. I tried both chk dsk /r and chk dsk /f and neither worked without crashing. They both got to stage 4 of 5 and crashed.

Thank you again for your help! :)

Edited by pyron81, 25 March 2010 - 06:29 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Trying running HD diagnostics using this method. If you are not sure who makes your hd then use the SeaTools cd iso one and use the below mentioned program to make a image disk to run it.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

pyron81

pyron81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
I have a samsung, do I use this:
ES-Tool (The Drive Diagnostic Utility) v2.12a (03.12.2009)
ES Tool (The Drive Diagnostic Utility) is made with the aim of testing a Samsung hard disk drive while it is installed inside a PC, regardless of the status of user's operating system. In fact of the drives returned to Samsung, a large percentage are NTF("No Trouble Found") after testing. So it is strongly recommended to test the drive if it is truly defective by a few fundamental troubleshooting of ES Tool first, to avoid user's unnecessary effort and inconvenience of replacing a good drive.

or this?

HUTIL (Diagnostic Utility for New Drives) v2.10 (10.08.2007)
Hutil (The Drive Diagnostic Utility) is made with the aim of testing a Samsung hard disk drive while it is installed inside a PC, regardless of the status of user’s operating system. In fact of the drives returned to Samsung, a large percentage are NTF(“No Trouble Found”) after testing. So it is strongly recommended to test the drive if it is truly defective by a few fundamental troubleshooting of Hutil first, to avoid user’s unnecessary effort and inconvenience of replacing a good drive.

or this?

SHDIAG (Diagnostic for Old Drives) v1.25 (05.27.2007)
This program is used to diagnose the disk when the SAMSUNG hard disk is suspected to have failures. It is strongly recommended to back up your data before using this program!

sorry just not sure which one to grab.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You want the newest one which in your case would be ES-Tool (The Drive Diagnostic Utility) v2.12a (03.12.2009)