Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printing trouble - have to restart computer

• Please log in to reply

BL00DY_R0AR

BL00DY_R0AR

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I have a printer which is connected wirelessly via a router, which when I print I must restart my laptop. I'm not sure why I would have to restart. When I click to print something, it shows in the print query that the job is Pending, and when I restart and after everything loads, the printer then starts printing.

Any idea? Maybe router issue?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
What printer and what router please

BL00DY_R0AR

BL00DY_R0AR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Its a Brother mfc-495-cw printer/fax. The router I'll get tomorrow cuz this isnt at my house. Its a verizon wireless modem/router. I hope this helps somewhat until I can get a model number for you.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
My guess is that the printer cannot find the wireless connection. When you restart it then searches again and finds it.
Does this help, in case you do not already have it.
http://www.brother-u...5CW_EN_1851.PDF

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I notice there are new downloads for this printer, just dated a short time ago.
This link provides ALL the info re the printer.
Best of luck
I do not believe I can help further as I am convinced it is a wireless network OR printer software problem.

http://welcome.solut...od=mfc495cw_all

Edited by Macboatmaster, 16 March 2010 - 05:58 PM.

BL00DY_R0AR

BL00DY_R0AR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Ive figured out whats causing the problem.

See, the printer isnt the only issue. Its the wireless mice for both of my computers, and even cellphone reception in that room. Theres a transformer(telephone pole) right outside the window. I think that the transformer is disrupting all the wireless signals in the room. I went to the store and bought a USB cable to connect the printer and now it works flawless.

So you were right, it was a connection issue. Next time someone cant figure out for the life of them why something wireless isnt working...as if there are transformers close to the room :)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Change the wireless channel of the router, if you are allowed to do so, that should eliminate the interference. Had the same problem here, for a customer, terrible wireless reception, turned out it was the central heating programmer interfering with the wireless.