Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is this malware?

• Please log in to reply

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
WinPatrol poped-up asking whether I wanted Dell Alerts to run at start-up, so I clicked on yes, and immediately afterwards it popped up again asking if the run once program "msiexec /qn /x {43FCA273-9534-40DB-B7C5-D7758875616A}" (without the quotation marks) was to be run at startup as well.

I have had Dell Alerts up and running for the entire time I've had WinPatrol (about 10 days), and this is the first time WinPatrol asked for confirmation. Is this normal/safe?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I just looked at my desktop, and saw the icon for Dell Updates that was there earlier was gone, and the start menu showed a toolbar saying new programs installed. I have not noticed when this took place, but the Dell Alerts seem to have uninstalled and reinstalled by themselves. Does this usually happen?

Edited by CelestialTeardrop, 19 May 2005 - 07:33 PM.

Advertisements

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Hi CelestialTeardrop

I've never used Winpatrol so I'm not sure what is normal behavior for it.
but as to

it popped up again asking if the run once program "msiexec /qn /x {43FCA273-9534-40DB-B7C5-D7758875616A}" (without the quotation marks) was to be run at startup as well.

msiexec.exe belongs to the Windows Installer Component and is used to install new programs that use Windows Installer package files (MSI) and the Parameter /qn this tells the program msiexec to display no user interface. And the parameter /x uninstalls a product. in your case the program uninstalled is given by that mysterious number {43FCA273-9534-40DB-B7C5-D7758875616A}.

I can't find any info on this number, but it is my guess that it is a GUID, a Globally unique identifier used by Windows Installer to install and uninstall programs, see http://www.webopedia...ERM/G/GUID.html for more. Google can't find it so it's probably a unique number specific to your system. So basicly I don't know what was to be uninstalled. :tazz:

If anyone reading this does know if I'm right or wrong on this, please let us know here. ;)

Most likely Winpatrol removed some spyware and that is what that message meant.

Did you allow Windows uninstaller to run once at startup? In other words did you click yes at that message?

I just looked at my desktop, and saw the icon for Dell Updates that was there earlier was gone, and the start menu showed a toolbar saying new programs installed. I have not noticed when this took place, but the Dell Alerts seem to have uninstalled and reinstalled by themselves. Does this usually happen?

This confuses me a little bit. If the dell alerts icon is gone then I would think the program has been terminated. maybe even removed from your startup. Did the icon reappear the next time you booted up? Does your system appear to be working OK now. If so don't worry. if not post here and tell us the problems you are having.

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Thanks for the reply!

I went though some papers I had printed from the Dell Alerts center a few weeks ago and found a notification stating that the old version of Dell Support Alerts would be replaced with a new version some time in the following weeks. The uninstall/reinstall must have been the automatic update to the newer version of the program. The system appears to be functioning normally.

kyleL

kyleL

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
hey guys - i just had the exact same message come up... just so you know

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Thanks for telling us kyleL. ;)

I hope this thread helped ya understand what was going on. i know how confusing messages like that can be sometimes, esp if you don't really know much about computers. :tazz: