Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

flash drive resident antimalware app?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

BobLewiston

BobLewiston

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
A while back someone suggested having, as part of your antimalware arsenal, some app that could be installed on a flash drive which could supposedly detect any spyware / malware on whatever computer the flash drive was plugged into. (I think the app was DOS-based, and it could work even if the system was severely compromised, although I'm not sure about those two points.) Could anybody tell me about this app? And would it detect a key logger?

Edit: Sorry, this should have been posted in the Applications forum.

Edited by BobLewiston, 18 March 2010 - 02:45 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The first question is "Do you have a malware problem now"
If the answer to that is YES
Post on Security and Malware Forum please

This is one such application. PLEASE NOTE I CANNOT vouch for its effectivesness or integrity.
I certainly would NOT run it on an installed working system, until I had tested it on a hard drive installation of no consequence.

Personally I use Comodo free firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials.
Nothing has ever got past them yet.
Once anything does, or indeed with any system, I personally would use Microsofts own free Protection Scan and if that failed something like Malwarebytes together with HiJack this.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 18 March 2010 - 04:00 PM.