Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

iTune Store connection

• Please log in to reply

Ray0135

Ray0135

• Pip
  • 3 posts
The operating system is Windows XP with the latest Trend Micro Pro Anti Virus.

I have been unable to connect to the iTune for some time. I am not aware of any changes being made on my computer to cause the problem. I turned off the anti virus software, re-installed ITune and did a Systems Restore to an earlier date, neither fixed the problem.

When I try to sign-in I get the error message (-50)

Although, when I switched to another user on the same computer I can connect to the iTune Store and sign-in without any problems.

Edited by Ray0135, 18 March 2010 - 05:03 PM.

Advertisements

Ray0135

Ray0135

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

The operating system is Windows XP with the latest Trend Micro Pro Anti Virus.

I have been unable to connect to the iTune for some time. I am not aware of any changes being made on my computer to cause the problem. I turned off the anti virus software, re-installed ITune and did a Systems Restore to an earlier date, neither fixed the problem.

When I try to sign-in I get the error message (-50)

Although, when I switched to another user on the same computer I can connect to the iTune Store and sign-in without any problems.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I've resolved this before by flushing the DNS cache. The thing I'm wondering is if the DNS cache is user or machine specific, since you said it's working under another user. Maybe someone can chime in here with the answer to that question.

Either way, flushing the cache won't hurt anything.

Go to Start, Run, type cmd and press Enter.

When the command prompt loads, enter the following command and then press Enter.

ipconfig /flushdns

Notice the space between the "g" and the "/".

You might also try disabling any pop up blockers before trying, since Apple states that some can interfere with the store connection.

Ray0135

Ray0135

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Unfortunately, neither fixed the problem.
Flushing the DNS cache indicated that it "successfully flushed the DNS resolver cache"

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
This is a little more drastic, but I want you to try deleting your user preference file for iTunes. You want to make a backup of the original file before deletion.

Keep in mind that you will lose all iTunes preferences, but we can put back the original file if it doesn't work. If it does, you'll have to recreate any and all preferences you have set.

Close iTunes

Navigate to C:\Users\InsertUserNameHere\AppData\Local\Apple Computer\iTunes\iTunesPrefs.xml

I don't know your username, but you'll need to substitute it for the part above where I have "InsertUsernameHere". Once you find that file, you'll want to make a copy first, delete the original and restart iTunes.

Give that a shot and let me know how it works out.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 22 March 2010 - 08:03 AM.