Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Instruction at 0x7342611a Referenced Memory at 0x7342611a

• Please log in to reply

Braind

Braind

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
I tried the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, but that didn't help. There is no virus nor malware on my PC, as far as I can tell.

Recently, my computer (with Windows XP Media Center, SP 3) started to show this error sign right after I switch on the computer, with the desk top icons and the task bar.

-----

Explorer.Exe Application Error
The instruction at "0x7342611a" referenced memory at "0x7342611a".
The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

-----

At this point, I can see all the desk top icons and the task bar, including the language bar sign on it. But, once I click on "OK", all the icons on the desk top screen and the task bar itself disappear for like 30 seconds, and when they reappear, they do so without the language bar (maybe others are also missing). I had already clicked on "show language bar" so that it should show it on the task bar all the time.

On the other hand, when I click on "CANCEL", it would soon show the "DrWatson Postmortem Debugger" sign which basically asks to send the information to Microsoft because they couldn't really debug. There is also "debug" button on it. If I click on it, the cursor will freeze for more than 10-15 minutes (after that, I gave up and restarted the computer via Windows Task Manager). If I click on "don't send the report", then the same with above -- all the icons on the desk top screen and the task bar itself disappear for a while and when they reappear, the language bar is not there.

I also get a Program /server is busy error message right after the 0x7342611a error message. I am asked to choose either switch or retry. Sometimes hitting the switch button works and my PC boots up; other times it doesn't (Retry doesn't work at all) and I need to shut down my PC and reboot up again.

I tried the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, but that didn't help. There is no virus nor malware on my PC, as far as I can tell.

I think this is from a Reimage Repair I used prior to all of this happening. Are you familiar with Reimage?
I contacted their support and they have completely ignored me (have answered only one of my emails and that was to tell me to do the Undo software they have as part of the package and then do the Repair in Safe Mode). They did give me a refund, but that doesn't fix this problem!

After I did the Reimage Repair, my Webroot WISE (Webroot Internet Security Essentials)could not complete an anti- virus scan without freezing my PC. So I ran the Reimage Undo program (as per their instructions the one and only time their support answered my emails) and that caused other problems. So I did Restore for my PC, picking a date (to restore my PC to) that was the day before I ran the Reimage repair. That's when this reboot problem happened and is happening ever since then.
I sent numerous emails to Reimage about this, but they haven't answered me. Yep, I will NEVER use Reimage again!
Go to the top of the page

Okay, now things are getting strange.
I used the Restore function again and chose 2/22/10 as my restore point.
Well, Restore did its job and everything worked, the SG icon even popped up in my bottom tool bar!
Then, I rebooted again and the same error message happened again, the SG icon was gone, etc.

So, if I use Restore and never reboot (or use Restore after every reboot), my PC will be fine! Strange, very strange.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Did you do as happyrock told you on the original post re this problem and after reading the guide, POST on that forum. It was on his second paragraph linked to the word here

Braind

Braind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
Your link was not active.
happyrock said to repost on this forum if no virus and or malware was found. Since no virus nor malware was found, I reposted here.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• 12,300 posts
Reimage is nothing more, than a scam. Read here: http://www.computerh...p?topic=73633.0

Braind

Braind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
Broni,
Unfortunately, I found out about Reimage the hard way. I used their Repair software a year ago, had some problems then, but their Tech Support people were wonderful and spent many hours working with me and we got everything back to normal AND my PC was actually better than before the Repair.

This year, I had the problems as described in the postings here and their Tech Support completely ignored me. They did give me a refund, but what good is the refund if I can't fix this problem their software caused?
I was very shocked at how badly the Reimage company has become since a year ago. It does look like a sham now.

Edited by Braind, 18 March 2010 - 10:25 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
At this point, I'd suggest this...

Start a new topic and post required logs at malware forum to make sure your computer is clean (your error is typical for some infections).

If your computer is clean, I think, you won't have any other option, but clean install.

Braind

Braind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
Broni,

I sent the info. to Nicolas Black (the Reimage guy that answered your post that was in the link you posted here) regarding my current problems with their "Repair" via email. I post here any reply I receive from him.

Braind

Braind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
Broni,

I didn't keep the logs because the scans found no malware. So, I can do what you suggest, but I will need to do all those scans all over again. This will take several hours, perhaps a day or two.

I don't know what you mean by a clean install, but it sounds ominous!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
The guy is a total moron.
If you read a whole thread (I know, it's a long read)...at some point, he dared to send me a PM, asking me (brace yourself!) to EDIT my post, so my ReImage description changes from very negative to not so.
Simply unbelievable!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

I don't know what you mean by a clean install, but it sounds ominous!

Well, let's not go there yet.
Let's see what malware guys will have to say.

Braind

Braind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
Broni,

Ok, I will start the scans tomorrow.
As for our Reimage buddy Nick, I didn't see the part you mentioned, but in the post I did read, he did not answer your points. He was very general..."we have bugs to work out"....and you were right to call him on that. What kind of bug determines your PC is riddled with malware when it is a brand new PC??? That's not a bug, that's a software issue that should be bad enough to send it back to the "drawing board" and keep it off the market until this bug is fixed.

I had a great experience with their Tech Support last year and this year they completely ignored me. They really have deteriorated badly since last year.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

Ok, I will start the scans tomorrow.

Sounds like a plan. Good luck :)