Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Access Certain Websites

• Please log in to reply

hunk714

hunk714

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi all,

I hope someone out there can help me with this. :) I have a home network consisting of a router and two laptops (both XP SP2), one of which is an older Toshiba A8, and the other a newer Toshiba P11. The newly installed P11 is "hangs" when trying to load certain websites (e.g., microsoft.com, walmart.com, linkedin.com). My HijackThis log from both the "good" and "problematic" laptop is given below.

Points to note:
* I have confirmed it is not a network connectivity issue - the sites are reachable from other machines periodically attached to the home network (e.g. a Win2k desktop, as all as the "good" A8 laptop).
* It doesn't appear to be a browser-specific issue, with IE6, Firefox 3.6 and Chrome all experiencing the same "hang" / "black hole" effect when trying to reach the sites on the problematic P11 laptop.
* It doesn't appear to be a problem with the Hosts file or Restricted sites list - checked that.
* It doesn't appear to be a problem with DNS resolution - the sites also "hang" when attempting direct IP address lookup. NSLOOKUP works fine.
* It hasn't been solved by many other posts on this and other sites such as Experts Exchange (e.g. I've unsuccessfully tried http://www.geekstogo...ertain websites )
* If I go through any FREE PROXY available on the internet, it works fine!!

Please help!! It's really frustrating me.

Cheers,
Milo from Melbourne, Australia

***********************************************************************************
HijackThis LOG from the PROBLEM P11 Toshiba Laptop (CANNOT ACCESS CERTAIN SITES)
[attachment=40154:HiJackThis_log.txt]

************************************************************************************
HijackThis LOG from the "GOOD" A8 Toshiba Laptop (CAN ACCESS ALL SITES FINE)
[attachment=40155:HiJackThis_log.txt]

Edited by wannabe1, 21 March 2010 - 07:53 AM.

Advertisements

hunk714

hunk714

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi folks,

update: PROBLEM SOLVED!! I kept digging and digging (it was infuriating me), and among the various solutions discussed on various other tech support sites, the issue of MTU kept coming up.

So I set it to a lower value (e.g. 576), and voila!

Now if only someone would explain to me why the original higher MTU was causing problems for SOME sites only, but not others? Makes no sense to me.. :)

Cheers,
Milo

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Now if only someone would explain to me why the original higher MTU was causing problems for SOME sites only, but not others? Makes no sense to me.. :)

http://www.orangeproblems.co.uk/kitz/

hunk714

hunk714

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
DaffyKantReed,

ok, thanks - I think I understand now. Not sure how to mark this as SOLVED?

Cheers,
Milo

kristain

kristain

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
You should try cleaning up the cache and cookies of your browser. Hopefully, it will help you.