Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

startup help

• Please log in to reply

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
:)
Yeah, it's better to just select computer's brand and model from drop down menus at Crucial to get all needed info, instead of using scanner.

Advertisements

masterb7

masterb7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Okay, I'll take a look for it :) Odd that scanner said 4 gig though.

Thanks for all the help :)

xblindx

xblindx

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Never, NEVER use msconfig as a permanent means to startup your system.

Where did you get this from?
Unchecking a startup in MSconfig stops the program from starting AND allows it to still remain on the computer. No harm will come from this.

It is a diagnostic procedure, but, No harm will come from using it that way.

After you uncheck the startup item you will be presented with a warning about running in diagnostic mode. Put a check mark in the box that states something to the effect of "ok to run in this mode".

I've actually read it from many reputable web sites. The reason being is that 1) you could accidentally disable an essential program from startup. and 2) Like you have said, it is a diagnostic procedure. Would you run a computer/machine/etc in diagnostic mode forever? No. You would use it to find out what is causing an issue, and then revert back to the default settings after fixing the problem. So why not get a program that will help you determine what you should disable from startup, and what is necessary to remain enabled.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Would you run a computer/machine/etc in diagnostic mode forever? No

I did for over 5 years with no problem.
There are other programs that can be used instead of msconfig but i'm sure Broni and 123Runner can help with that.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Msconfig is the easiest and quickest way for the average user to disable unwanted startups.

There are other programs like "autoruns", but then you need to know how to use it. You also need to put it back on the computer or leave it on the computer if you want to re-activate the startup.

Another program is "winpatrol". It will monitor the startup groups. You also need to have it on the computer for it to be used.

Therefore, MSconfig is the BEST option for the average user to control their startup programs.

xblindx

xblindx

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I also ran my old computer with msconfig settings for a while, until I read that article, using CCleaner's startup manager was easier in my opinion that using msconfig.