Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

high CPU usage

• Please log in to reply

Rowlee

Rowlee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
sorry. that was before doing your latest suggestions above.
R.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK lets do this a different way then.

Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

Rowlee

Rowlee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
sorry. that was before doing your latest suggestions above.
R.

Rowlee

Rowlee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I have to go now. will continue this eve. thanks again.
R.

Rowlee

Rowlee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I turned off and on start it used 100%cpu but didnt stay long.
on starting FF it shot up to 100% but didnt freeze, took maybe 20 to 30 seconds to reload 4 pages.

I have scripts partially allowed on FF. can this present any problem?

it booted ok and is running more smoothly so far.
R

Rowlee

Rowlee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
oh here I go again. must be getting old or something. forgot.
i had disabled everything in startup except avast.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Old age catches me too so at east know i have good company. :)
Be careful with running around internet with no AV protection.
I seriously doubt Avast would be the problem as i have been running it for a year now with no problems with internet.
I think the problem is more the toolbars then anything but the msconfig will tell us for sure.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A fellow geek suggest this.

I might believe is the codecs and his video drivers that's causing the problem. try ask him to uninstall them. As titled, I am just guessing co'z I fixed my friends high cpu usage which has similar issue whistling.gif

Rowlee

Rowlee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi: was having a problem with an add-on i think, so have disabled them again and checking 1 at a time. is running good right now and fast.

could i ask you something else? it seems javascript plugin is not working to download an mp3, it doesnt show in add-ons, and theres what is called 'perfect optimizer' by a 'windows expert' to repair javascript errors and clean up windows. it came up with a lot of registry errors which you have to pay for to fix them.

could you give me any suggestions for this?

Roland

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
DO NOT do anything with registry as most of the so called registry cleaners will cause more problems then what they fix.
If Java is a problem then please do the following.

Please download JavaRa from the link in my signature below to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
  • * Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
    * Accept any prompts.
    * Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
    * Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button.
  • Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

Advertisements

Rowlee

Rowlee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I've been using Ccleaner. no good?
thank you,
Roland

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I personally am not a fan of Ccleaner but some techs do recommend it. What are you exactly using it for and maybe I can suggest some other program or programs that will do the job without messing with the registry.
How is the system running now and is there any improvement from the start of this topic for you?

Rowlee

Rowlee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
RShaffer: altho sometimes cpu holding at 100% for few seconds, is basically running much better so far. seems like add-ons were the main problem. will keep fellow geeks suggestion about video drivers in mind if more problem.

You are only one who has actually helped me.
Where can I make a donation please?

dont know if Ccleaner has caused any problems, but I will not use the registry cleaning part anymore. have to be honest and say I dont really know enough about it and maybe shouldn't be using it. I thought it would just help to clean up old left over stuff that might cause problems and can be deleted.
Thanks again,
Roland
:)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
There are other programs that will get rid of the leftover, temp, cache files that slow a system down.
Also regular maintenance with defragging helps alot.
I appreciate the offer of a donation but I do this freely and all though some do take donations i don't believe in it since the site is a free support site.
Your thank you is enough for me. :) :)
If there are other issues or files you need to know about please feel free to ask and i will try to assist in their removal or explanation of what they are. :)

Rowlee

Rowlee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
now it wouldn't come out of hibernation so restarted and noticed it was still on selective startup.

am amazed at how fast auslogics defrags.
am trying TFC file cleaner.