Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hiding Desktop Icons Prevents changes to wallpaper

• Please log in to reply

PirateBill

PirateBill

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I've been doing all the tweaks I can find to get desktop wallpaper to show up, and I finally figured out the issue, but not the solution.

My issue is when I set my desktop icons to hidden, and then change the desktop wallpaper, the old picture stays and wont refesh to the new one until I enable show desktop icons. The whole point is to see the picture without the icons. Its been working for a few weeks, the only thing I did recently was play around with passwords on my network shares, but that was a few weeks ago and I just noticed this issue the other day. Any ideas?

I have a program auto change the wallpaper pic for me, http://chamwallchange.sourceforge.net/ Again, I can get this to work correctly if I have all the icons on desktop shown, its only when I hide icons.

Edit - I just tried Refresh while the icons we're hidden, and it shows the new picture. So now, how do I get windows wallpaper to refresh itself when the picture changes?

Edited by PirateBill, 20 March 2010 - 03:52 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I have replied, just so you do not think you are being ignored.
That said, it is my experience over many years, back to the days of Dos and Windows 3.1 that tweaks like this usually end up with only one foreseeable result - PROBLEMS.
It is your computer and you must do as you wish, however - consider this.
Microsoft spent £m`s designing Windows and continue to do so.
If such a facility was in wide demand, they would have incorporated it.
It does NOT work, satisfactorily, because Windows was not designed for it to work.
The program, in order to do what it is supposed to do MUST have created files and entries in other Windows files.
My advice - is GET RID and stick with what works perfectly - Windows - choice of wallpaper from any place you wish and right click on desktop - Arrange Icons by - uncheck Show Desktop Icons.
MUNG is now accepted as a computer word. It means MASH UNTIL NO GOOD.
You may think, my reply, is harsh. It is the best advice I can give. I also work on another forum. Only joined THIS one recently. You only have to read the various posts to see how many problems are caused by
tweaking this and tweaking that.

PirateBill

PirateBill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply, and I know where your coming from as an ex-technical support field person, but you don't have to be such [bleep] about saying "I think its your 3rd party program causing the issue" I already thought it probably was, but I was just hoping maybe it was a registry entry or some quirk that someone else had stumbled onto. Thanks for the reply, and I hope you don't help everyone on this forum like that, it makes this sites community seem like a real keeper.