Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Speed

• Please log in to reply

aj127

aj127

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I've been having very slow speeds for the past month or so. I'm supposed to be getting 3mbps, but am only getting about 50-400kbps. The problem will happen randomly, but mostly during the day. I've called Verizon (my ISP) about 3 or 4 times now and they always seem to "fix" the problem, only to have it return in a couple of days. I've tried everything from disconnecting my router and running it straight from my modem to PC, to just hardwiring my laptop to the modem, to trying different phone jacks in my house. I've also tried scanning for malware, changing my password on my wireless (in case someone was leaching off my net) and nothing works. When my speed is down, it's down for good no matter what I try. I was almost positive it's something on their (Verizon's) end, until I found something interesting. When I access my modem by typing 192.168.1.1 in the address bar, I notice this on the main home page:

DSL Connect Rate (Down/Up) 3360 Kbits/sec by 832 Kbits/sec

So, it looks like my modem is reporting speeds of 3360kbps, when in fact I'm only getting like 50-400kbps, according to speedtest.net Is there any kind of setting that I'm missing? Is there a reason why my modem reports those speeds (3360kbps), when in reality I'm not getting anywhere near that? I might just need a new modem, perhaps?

I'm using:

Westell 6100 (model E-90) dsl modem
Netgear wireless G-router model WGR614
Older Dell Dimension 2400 desktop running Windows XP
New HP Laptop (sorry don't remember the model) running Windows 7 64 bit.

When problem occurs, it will occur on both computers. Please let me know what other info I can provide. I greatly appreciate any help, thanks.

edited: I have also just tried disabling my firewall (Kaspersky), in fact my entire internet security, and the problem persists.

Edited by aj127, 20 March 2010 - 09:25 PM.

Advertisements

aj127

aj127

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Any thoughts at all would be greatly appreciated. I've run out of things to look through.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
If you have connected a single PC to the Westell modem and your connection is still slow, it sure could be Verizon's problem. Do you have micro filters on all of your telephone lines inside of the house? If you do, call them and ask for a tech to come out and check line levels.

aj127

aj127

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you for the reply!

Normally, I would have a modem, router, hardwired to my desktop and then my laptop getting wireless internet. Then I tried cutting out the router completely and hooking my desktop straight to my modem. Then I tried hooking my laptop straight to my modem with an ethernet cable.. and nothing. If by microfilters, you mean like those dsl filters that ISPs give you, right? Yeah, I've only got 1 phone in the house and it's got a filter on it. In fact, I even tried disconnecting the phone completely and trying it, to no avail.

I really just wanted to see if I was missing something that I could do on my own to fix this. But it really does seem that the problem is on Verizon's end.

About my modems access page reporting:

DSL Connect Rate (Down/Up) 3360 Kbits/sec by 832 Kbits/sec

Does anyone have a clue as to why it's reporting those speeds, when in fact I'm not getting them? Is it normal?

Again, DaffyKantReed, I greatly appreciate your response. And I greatly appreciate any insight. Thanks.

aj127

aj127

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
RESOLVED... sort of..

I called Verizon yesterday, and was told for the 4th time they would "look into it". Well they finally called me back just now and told me they found the problem.

He said, that in my area there 2 "trunks". He explained to me what they are, but to be honest it went way over my head. From what I understood, these are between my house and the "office" where my internet comes from. Well he said that 1 of these "trunks" has been failing for a while now and that whenever that happens, people all get put on the 1 good trunk and it gets congested. He said they've been working on fixing this failing "trunk" and that when it's fixed everything will work fine on my end. He said they're in the process of setting up another trunk to offset the problems, but that it could take a couple weeks.

I just wanted to share this information for anyone else who might be having the same problem. The problem is completely on their end, and not anything to do here in my house. I will update when the problem gets fixed. Thanks Daffy for your reply!

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
I'm happy to hear they found the problem. Give them two or three weeks then check back for a progress report. Please do post back to this thread with your findings.