Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I cant change my MAC address!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

qwerty313

qwerty313

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all. I have been trying to spoof my MAC address for quite a while now. However I always failed to do so. I have tried changing the registry and stuff, but my MAC address always reverts back to its orginal one.

I am using my laptop, and has wireless connection to my home network, through a linksys router. I am sure that my father is restricting my internet access, cause at a certain time in the day my internet goes off, but I regain access when i connect to some1 else's wireless. It is seriously annoying when you are surfing the web and your internet access is abruptly stopped.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A more practical course of action would probably be to take the issue up with your father first, before you get found out for your actions (I'm assuming you're under 18?) and possibly losing the system altogether.

Also please don't use somebody else's wireless network because this action, known as piggybacking, is actually illegal in a lot of countries, states and jurisdictions.

qwerty313

qwerty313

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the advice. Actually he does this to prevent my younger brother from gaming, and i have to suffer because of this.

I'll appreciate it if anyone can give me a solution to my problem instead of more advice :)

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Removed

Edited by ScHwErV, 25 March 2010 - 05:47 AM.
helpful advice, but request was against TOU

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

I am sure that my father is restricting my internet access, cause at a certain time in the day my internet goes off, but I regain access when i connect to some1 else's wireless.

Removed

Edited by ScHwErV, 25 March 2010 - 05:48 AM.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
LOL! That was fantastic. :)

And the acronym stands for...

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Removed

Edited by ScHwErV, 25 March 2010 - 05:48 AM.

qwerty313

qwerty313

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the help dude! I've been trying that out and it works great!!! You're a genius

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
... is anyone else catching the sarcasm here?
:)

Down With Malware!

Down With Malware!

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Each machine has a unique MAC address assigned to that computer or machine. How do you think wireless internet connections get secured from other people using it for free? You give the wireless router a special long password and you put in the MAC address into the router that you allow to pass. Removed

A mac address shouldn't be messed with, neither should be the registry you can seriously bork your system.

Edited by ScHwErV, 25 March 2010 - 05:50 AM.
You were doing fine, to a point, I just removed the parts that I found a bit "off"

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Disabling SSID broadcast and filtering MAC addresses are fine ideas, but not all effective against a determined adversary. Better to use AES and choose the longest passphrase possible, including numbers, letters, and special characters.

The odds of brute forcing such a passphrase is 1.027891501e+117

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
No.

We will not be helping you get around restrictions placed on your internet by your father. You want free internet access, pay for it yourself.

This thread is closed.

Those who participated, pay close attention. We do not help anyone circumvent security measures here. Take this as your warning.