Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Nightmare. Please Help!

• Please log in to reply

jhn-e-bee

jhn-e-bee

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
Hi Geeks,

Sorry to trouble you again but I am having an absolute Nightmare. It first started friday night when I topped up my mobile broadband(Pay as you go) after being without internet for a couple of days. I got online and started catching up with email and after about two or three minutes I started to get the "Cannot Find" page everytime I tried to go to another page. I logged off and back on again and tried again but the same thing, Two or three minutes it was fine and then nothing. I was totally stumped so I tried uninstalling the 3mobile software, no change, I uninstalled my browser and re-installed(K-Meleon by the way), still no change. I had been meaning to re-format my hard drive as it has been getting cluttered and really sluggish lately so I thought now was as good a time as any and hopefully it would reset whatever the problem was. So I re-formatted, installed K-Meleon and the 3mobile software and everything else. I got online, opened my browser and tried again and it still happened. So I called 3mobile to make sure there was no problem their end and they said there wasn't. They even checked specificaly for my area(bless them). They went through resetting the interent options in IE(Even though I told them I never use it) with me and had me reset them to default. Then they told me to try turning of my firewall and bingo(And yes I felt stupid for not thinking of that), I stayed online. I should mention at this time that when I re-formatted, I tried to re-install AVG but it kept coming up as being a problem with my internet connection and would not install, so I have been without AV to this point. Now all of last night I was able to stay online, but I was without any protection except doing a malwarebytes scan this morning witch found 1 infection. I figured that I should not keep going online without an AV at least so I DLed Avast. Then the problems started again. With avast you can turn on and off differing aspects of the AV so I tried differing combinations and have found that I seem ok with the network shield but when I turn on the web shield or the file system shield then I get problems again.

I cannot go on without any firewall or AV much longer and I do not think it is a good idea to start messing about with ports and stuff because this is one area I have never been before. So I was hoping I could get some much needed professional advice from you guys, seeing as you were of such great help last year when I had a virus infection.

Thanks in advance,

John B

Update: Just went to post this message and was unable, problem starting again. Had to reboot and start again in order to post

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
What firewall do you use?
Was your computer physically connected to the net (ethernet cable) while performing format and fresh install?
Run AVG Remover to make sure, there are no leftovers: http://www.avg.com/u.../download-tools

jhn-e-bee

jhn-e-bee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
I use windows firewall(xp sp2)

I was'nt connected while re-formating, the mobile broadband is what I normally use although recently I did connect to a local BT Openzone which is a public wireless hotspot that you can use to get online, I payed for 24 hours of access so I dont know if this did something, it's possible.

I am noticing that i do not seem to be able to go to any AV websites. I couldnt get to avg and i had to get avast through cnet downloads. i cannot get to the link you posted. I cannot get to these sites even when i can get to others, for example i could get to this site and google even while I could not access your link.

is there another way I can get the avg cleaner you are talking about.

The problem is getting worse than ever now, I am having to write my replies and save them in notepad and then go offline and reboot so that I can get back online then quickly come here and post my answers. It is getting really annoying.

Thanks for the quick reply by the way.

John B

jhn-e-bee

jhn-e-bee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
think i just got avg remover from cnet, i will try it out and get back.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Since you can't access any AV sites....

I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

jhn-e-bee

jhn-e-bee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
OK, Thanks Broni.

By the way I used the avg remover and it opened a black command prompt type box and then left me with a notepad report, which is rather long. I will keep it in case I need it later.

Thanks again,

John B.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're welcome :)