Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No restart after virus clean

• Please log in to reply

jeruddy

jeruddy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I had the XP Mal ware virus and ran 2 anti-virus programs to remove it. Both are well known anti-virus/malware programs, just thought I would mention it.

Now, I ran both programs in safe-mode and when I went back to regular mode the system told me that it could not find any of my internet programs as well as some others. I did a search on the programs and found them and tried to run them directly but they now said I didn't have permission. I have two users on this computer so I tried the other and got the same thing. At this point I was able to get to the internet in safe mode still.

Now it gets ugly.

I couldn't get anything to work after a few tries and decided that I would go back to my last working configuration. Well, that apparently was a very poor decision. Now I turn on the pc and it says Dell across the top and then the screen goes black. I can repeatedly press F8 when it is starting and it brings me to the screen that tells me I can start in safe-mode but when I try the program only runs 15 lines or so and then stops. The last line is multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\isapnp.sys

I read that I could try to start from an XP disk but to find it would be a whole 'nother story.

Thanks for your help!

Advertisements

Cruise475

Cruise475

Trusted Helper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
Hi There jeruddy,

:)

It sounds like you may still have malware of some sort still on your system. Modern viruses and malware are frequently changing, and more often or not, after a system is infected, the virus protection may not be able to completely rid your computer of it. Modern viruses and malware embed themselves deep into the computer, and make things hard :)

I would suggest heading over to the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide and follow the directions there. (If you can't even get that far, head to my next set of instructions and start from there :))

If you still have problems after using the guide, head over to the Virus, Spyware and Trojan Removal forum and post a new topic over there. That way you can get a Malware Removal Staff Member to take a look at the logs!

Again, Welcome to Geeks To Go!

~Cruise

jeruddy

jeruddy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
This is way past the viruses/malware problem unfortunately. I can't get my computer to run. If I can't get the system to start then downloading anything is impossible as is printing a log. If I can get that one little start back into my pc then I can look at everything else. But, thanks for responding :)

Cruise475

Cruise475

Trusted Helper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
Hi There,

Not Exactly,

You have another computer to download files and such from? I would still suggest heading over to that forum. We have tools that may be able to help you out.

But of course its your call.

Cruise

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
As Cruise475, start new topic in malware forum and let them know, your computer is not bootable.
They have ways to check your computer even if it's not bootable.