Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with restoring emails

• Please log in to reply

myan_goddess

myan_goddess

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi There

Im no computer genius so go easy on me here. My friend got a virus on his laptop which is running Vista. He went to do a full factory reset and even though he backed up the files he needed on an external hard drive, he cannot restore his window mail history and therefore lost a [bleep] of a lot of important work emails. He describes his step by step process as the following:

"most things relevant were on my desktop, so i created a folder on my external hard drive called meltdown. I dragged all desktop into external hard drive and then went programme files and dragged all of them over. One of the files was called Windows Mail so I presumed I was covered.

I then did factory reset

I put folder called meltdowns contents on to desktop, I also copied windows mail to desktop, I then open the new windows mail, tried to import messages - it says where from : browse - I browse to windows mail folder click it and it just imports folder names - like sent, cirtex, ebay, sent, drafts etc but no actual emails - i got the feeling i missed a system file that wasnt in programme files - windows mail."

Can anyone help him to restore his old emails? THANK YOU!!!

Sophie

Advertisements

myan_goddess

myan_goddess

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry guys - reposted in Vista forum area after posting here by mistake!