Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleting recovery points

• Please log in to reply

NE_girl

NE_girl

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi all-
I've just sold my netbook on Ebay and I thought I had already deleted all personal data by using the Samsung System Recovery program to roll back to the initial configuration. But this morning I discovered that it's possible to use Samsung's little program to restore to a later date, thereby restoring my data as well. This makes me a little panicky as I don't want some stranger recovering my data. Samsung Recovery operates a bit differently than Microsoft System Restore. Any ideas how I can get the computer back to factory configuration and delete the later recovery points? I searched for a way to do this and can't seem to find anything. And I only have two days to ship this to the buyer, so time is of the essence. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

NE_girl

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi NE_girl

If the Samsung recovery is similar to System restore, then all that does is gives you a way to go back in time to before a "bad install" of a program or to recover from a hiccup in the system. You won't clear any data.

What you want is a destructive recovery. It takes the unit back to the 1st day you got it.

What is the make and model of the netbook? There is most likely a startup key combination to to start the procedure from a hidden partition.

123runner

NE_girl

NE_girl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
It's a Samsung N310. Recovery seems to be the same as System Restore. I did figure out that I could delete the recovered backup on the D: drive. But I'm still nervous. It's not like there's top-secret info on there or anything. But I'm far from computer-savvy so I'd like to at least make it a little bit harder for someone to recover and then steal my info. :)

Thanks for your help! And so quickly. :)

NE_girl

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I have found your Manual

What you are looking to do is a destructive install. In other words a complete reload of windows.
Page 143 describes the procedure. To do this you will need a System recovery Cd and a external ODD. I believe the ODD to be a external CD drive.
You will also need the CD that has the device drivers and applications (system software media).

NE_girl

NE_girl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for finding the manual, 123Runner. Very helpful. Unfortunately, I don't have an external CD drive. So I guess I'm sunk. Thanks for your help. I will stick with the recovery program and hope for the best.

NE_girl

nimblearcher

nimblearcher

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi NE_girl

Can't help with your destructive install but there are ways to wipe clean the free space you clear out when deleting your personal data. One such free program is Comodo System Cleaner which is available at the link below. Make sure you just wipe the free space as a total wipe will also knock out the operating system.

http://system-cleane...m/download.html