Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU keeps restarting in operating system boot up on Desktop

• Please log in to reply

jjstover2929

jjstover2929

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a Dell that is one year old. Of course the warranty ran out last month! Now after loading the desktop on the OS for about one minute I get a couple of quarantine warnings from one of my spywares (Fix It Utilities) and then I get a Microsoft warning saying something is not loading correctly and the computer restarts with an error code 2147023174.
Upon restart it does not give me the safe mode option, it just says start normally or try to have computer fix it self then start.
It then tries to fix itself then asks me if I would like to go to the last previous restore point. When I choose yes, it still runs through the same cycle of problems.
I read through the malware information to install and check the CPU that is recommended on this site but I don't know how to do all of that when my computer cannot connect to the internet and only stays booted up for about 60 seconds.

Is there another way to perform those actions before the desktop boots up?

Thanks.

Jake

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Reboot, when you see the PC maker's logo or it beeps start tapping the F8 key slowly. Keep tapping until you get to the Safe Mode Menu. Select Safe Mode with Networking and see if that will work for you. If not try Safe Mode. There should also be an option at the bottom of the list to stop the automatic reboot on blue screen so you can at least read the message.

Ron

jjstover2929

jjstover2929

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I used the F8 key to get the Safe Mode option. I tried to boot up in Safe Mode and it doesn't even reach the desktop. It gives me the blue screen of death for a split second then restarts. I tried to use the elimination of the automatic restart, but it doesn't even try to boot up when I choose that, it just crashes then I have to pull the plug and battery to get it to restart.
I took some photos of the blue screen language that pops up for a second before the restart. It is attached.

It is not looking good.What else can I try? Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• CPU_Blue_Screen_IMG00033.jpg

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
0X000000F4 is usually a hardware problem. CMOS Battery, Bad RAM, bad mouse cable, harddrive dying.

But see if you can get Avira's rescue disk to work.

http://dlpro.antivir...m-common-en.iso

Instructions here:

http://www.techmixer...us-and-malware/

If it will run we can rule out a lot of hardware. You can also usually get a harddrive test program from the drive maker's website, burn it and test the drive.

Ron

jjstover2929

jjstover2929

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I finally got the machine to boot in safe mode. I loaded a CD with the virus scan software on it but it will not open up the file. I can explore the cd but the software will not open up.
The primary thing I would like to do is get all of my picures and such saved somewhere so I don't lose them. We have about one years worth of pictures of my kids that I don't want to lose. I tried a USB but it says it is trying to install the driver for it then it just times out on the install.
I also tried to burn a CD using SONIC but it won't let me open the software up in safe mode. What else can I try?

Is there another way to get the virus scan to run in safe mode?

Thanks

Jake