Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two GOM Player Issues...

• Please log in to reply

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
I'm having a couple of issues with GOM Player. The GOM Player Forum doesn't bother replying back to me so I figured I'd try asking here. I don't think I've ever been let down here.

A.) Whenever I open up a DVD in GOM Player I can't click on any of the DVD menus at all. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

B.) Batch capture usually always works for me but for some reason, though the specific DVD that I was viewing and trying to capture looked normal when viewing, when I batch captured this is what the image turned out as:
snapshot20100322134213.jpg
The image is like stretched and weird looking. I know it has to do with the video's aspects itself but it looks fine when the video is playing so can anyone tell me what to do to fix it so that the images I capture look normal? I'd much rather not have to edit them and fix them with Photoshop or something.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Bump.
The issues still continue.

Please help!

Iconicmoronic

Iconicmoronic

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
i think it isn't related to aspect ratios involving GOM player. the screen capture function configuration might not be set properly. i'm not a graphics guru, but if you ask me; it's definately not simply an internal GOM player issue. you might consider how the gom player executable file migrates itself into your computer, and what modifications and settings it applies in order to makes it functionality windows compatible. a few things to consider: look up windows screen capture see what you can find about configuring it for certain resolution settings (where aspect ratio determines motion it isn't so relevant in still captures). see if you can find a gom player setting for the screen capture, if so look at its specifications and see if you can adjust them to fit the player aspect ratios, your desktop configuration, or graphics card specifications. it is a configuration issue with the utility most definately (how simple of an issue it is I don't know as I don't use gom player for anything except to preview video quality during video downloads that have not completed, where the previous alternative was mplayer, its quality seems to have declined as it has gone from a linux software package and entered the windows executable realm). I hear a lot of good things about GOM though.

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
I'm really, really novice at this type of stuff, haha.
I didn't understand anything you just said. xD

Taste

Taste

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I know this thread is old but it might help someone as I was having the same issue!

It appears that GOM Player is capturing the movie frame resolution correctly at 720 * 576 (X * Y), but that is NOT how GOM Player is displaying the image! 720 * 576 is a 4 / 3 display frame. (Well actually it's 3.75 / 3 to be exact!) What GOM Player then does is stretch the image out to display it in its proper 16 / 9 ratio. So for 'Y' ratio 576 divided by 9 gives us 64. So to get the 'X' ratio we do 64 multiplied by 16 which gives 1024.

All you need to do is load the captured frame into your photo editor software. Then find the option to 'resample' the image size. IMPORTANT: REMOVE (untick) any tick on 'keep aspect ratio' as you are changing it, do this BEFORE entering any values. Then set X (horizontal) value to 1024, keep Y (vertical) at 576. The resulting new image will now be in the correct ratio. (I tested this out with the MGM logo circle just to make sure.)

This is a pain I know, but it was the only way I've found that works. Try it on the sample image above.

If the aspect ratio you want is different to 16 / 9 you may need to adjust the values, but this should work for many films. Remember aspect ratio- like 16 /9, is always X first, then Y. You need to look at the image capture resolution to and adjust accordingly using the method below:

newX = (Y / VerticalRatio) * HorizontalRatio

newY = Y

[Example for frame captured in this topic is: newX = (576 / 9) * 16 = 1024 ]

Hope this helps.

Edited by Taste, 22 May 2013 - 01:05 AM.